Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Chromebook vs laptop for kids?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:28 am
1. Want to spend as little as possible
2. Need to access email, write/edit documents, simple graphics (e.g. cover for reports). As they move into high school I'm not sure if other abilities will be needed. Modern bais yaakov type high school (bais yaakov filtering standards yet at the same time require kids to access assignments by email? This confuses me but whatever, must stay on topic for tachlis)
3. Must be able to strictly filter internet access. Filtering at the router level is not an option due to varying needs of other family members.

Does it matter whether chromebook or cheap laptop? I'm seeing black Friday deals on both in similar price ranges. I'm a little naive when it comes to filtering abilities, I rely on advice and experiences of people who are better at this.

monseymom25

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 7:36 am
If you need Office 365 don’t t get the Chromebook. It doesn’t suport it. You can use office.com on a Chromebook but not the full version of Office 365.

Balabroomstick

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 7:45 am
I’ve heard terrible things about the Chromebook. I got myself a refurbished Microsoft surface and I love it!

sunshine6

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:00 am
I’m very happy with my chrome book since I do all my work online.
But I heard you can’t really filter it. Maybe not a great idea for kids.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:22 am
Balabroomstick wrote:
I’ve heard terrible things about the Chromebook. I got myself a refurbished Microsoft surface and I love it!

What terrible things did you hear about Chromebook?

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:23 am
Why do people getting Chromebook’s for their kids then? Is it because they are cheap? I need to get something for my kids and just assumed a Chromebook was the way to go but now I’m questioning that.

devorah1231

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:09 am
On a regular laptop you can exert complete control on a childs account for free.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 9:59 am
Stay away from Chromebook. It's basically a browser device, you won't be able to download majority of programs you need.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 10:08 am
lucky14 wrote:
Why do people getting Chromebook’s for their kids then? Is it because they are cheap? I need to get something for my kids and just assumed a Chromebook was the way to go but now I’m questioning that.

Cheap and if you don’t care about filtering you can go basic stuff easily

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 10:15 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
Stay away from Chromebook. It's basically a browser device, you won't be able to download majority of programs you need.

Kids doing schoolwork don’t need downloaded programs generally. That’s the idea of the Chromebook

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 10:30 am
amother Honey wrote:
Kids doing schoolwork don’t need downloaded programs generally. That’s the idea of the Chromebook

The idea of Chromebooks is for schoolwork or downloaded programs?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 11:10 am
DH purchased a Chromebook when covid hit and it looked like the kids were going to be home from school and we didn't have enough devices for everyone. It worked out really well and we also bring it along when we travel. DD was issued a school Chromebook when she began high school and it seems to work for whatever her needs are.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 12:21 pm
amother Teal wrote:
DH purchased a Chromebook when covid hit and it looked like the kids were going to be home from school and we didn't have enough devices for everyone. It worked out really well and we also bring it along when we travel. DD was issued a school Chromebook when she began high school and it seems to work for whatever her needs are.

Are you able to filter it against web browsing and such while still able to use it for email and homework?

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 12:48 pm
seeker wrote:
Are you able to filter it against web browsing and such while still able to use it for email and homework?

That’s going to be an issue because everything on it runs through google chrome. Schools are able to filter their Chromebooks, but I’m not sure what’s available on personal Chromebooks

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:46 pm
chromebooks are only through google and browser, so it's supposed to be much harder to filter. And you're more limited in what you can do and which programmes you can use.
When we looked into it, we were told avoid chromebooks and just get a laptop.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:56 pm
Thanks everyone. Gonna be on the lookout for a cheap laptop then. Think I can just get the cheapest thing available or is there a feature I should be paying attention to? Again this is for basic schoolwork with the assumption that when they're old enough to need more computing they'll want to choose and buy their own.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:05 pm
So my kids are going to need to use the internet for school anyway. Most of what they will be using it for will be online. What are your kids using their laptops for that isn’t online? What does it mean for a computer to be filtered anyway? They can’t go on any websites or only some? Or some content on websites is blocked out?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:15 pm
Typing homework, essentially. I don't like sharing mine every time they want to type or make a cover for a project.

They'll also be using email to share documents and get announcements from school/teachers.

I'm assuming at some times research will push them online but I'm more comfortable supervising that on my computer for now. If it becomes an ongoing need, then I would adjust my filtering strategy accordingly.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 2:20 pm
So if my kids are going to be using the internet anyway is there any advantage to getting a laptop?
Can’t I control the Chromebook to only allow them to access the websites I put in for it to allow?

I’m only going to allow them to use it in the room where I am.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics