Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Pls help me change my potato Kugel recipe
Previous  1  2

jflower

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:06 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Sure.. 1 bag potatoes, 6 eggs, 1 tbsp salt, 1/4tsp black pepper, 1/2 c oil
400 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs
Enjoy 🙂
Tastes best fresh like Thursdays or Erev Shobbos to make it, don’t freeze it though. It won’t taste good
Enjoy

Thanks for posting your recipe.

Happy247

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:09 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Sure.. 1 bag potatoes, 6 eggs, 1 tbsp salt, 1/4tsp black pepper, 1/2 c oil
400 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs
Enjoy 🙂
Tastes best fresh like Thursdays or Erev Shobbos to make it, don’t freeze it though. It won’t taste good
Enjoy

To reheat frozen kugel to taste (almost) like fresh - coat lightly with oil then reheat. Make sure to heat long enough to evaporate all the extra water.

observer

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:20 pm
What does the boiling water do? My recipe is similar besides for that.

cosmo

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:22 pm
Yes Yukon Gold potatoes is a winner for me!

AhavatYisrael

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This one is perfect and comes out like that, compared to Esti's recipe. It has 3 extra eggs, and extra half cup of boiling water, and 1 tsp more salt. It is bake for 2 hours at 350 instead of 450.

This is so good, kind of fluffy and gooey at the same time.

Potato Kugel

5 lb Idaho or Russet potatoes, peeled
1 onion (optional)
8 large eggs
3/4 cup oil (equivalent to 7 oz plastic cup-full)
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease then line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper (so you get full slices of potato kugel, without yummy crust being left behind/stuck to the pan).
Mix the eggs and oil in a large bowl. Set aside.
Process the onion. Grate the potatoes with the kugel blade. Pour grated potatoes/onion into the eggs & oil bowl. Add salt and pepper and mix. Add boiling water and mix.
Place the lined 9x13 inch pan into the sink (to catch splatters). Carefully pour in the potato kugel batter.
Place pan in oven and bake for 2 hours, uncovered.

Thank you! I'm going to try this recipe. Do you think I can bake it at 400 for less time? Or would it still come out with a hard crust if I did that?

cupcake123

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This one is perfect and comes out like that, compared to Esti's recipe. It has 3 extra eggs, and extra half cup of boiling water, and 1 tsp more salt. It is bake for 2 hours at 350 instead of 450.

Potato Kugel

1 onion (optional)
8 large eggs
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease then line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper (so you get full slices of potato kugel, without yummy crust being left behind/stuck to the pan).
Process the onion. Grate the potatoes with the kugel blade. Pour grated potatoes/onion into the eggs & oil bowl. Add salt and pepper and mix. Add boiling water and mix.
Place the lined 9x13 inch pan into the sink (to catch splatters). Carefully pour in the potato kugel batter.

This is life changing !

baltomom

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:16 pm
I use the S blade to process 3 or 4 potatoes with a large onion and a zucchini. Then I shred the rest of the potatoes. My family likes the consistency.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:34 pm
AhavatYisrael wrote:
Thank you! I'm going to try this recipe. Do you think I can bake it at 400 for less time? Or would it still come out with a hard crust if I did that?

It comes out absolutely delish at 350 and I try to plan time for that, but if I'm tight on time and cooking something else at 400, I have on occasion done 400 for maybe an hour and a half. Almost as good.

observer wrote:
What does the boiling water do? My recipe is similar besides for that.

Adds fluffyness.

AhavatYisrael

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Adds fluffyness.

I'm going to try it at 350. Sounds delicious!

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:05 pm
Jflower it’s my pleasure 😌 and thanks Happy 247 I appreciate you giving me the tip. We usually heat leftover potatoe kugel in the microwave if there is any

dena613

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Potato Kugel

1 onion (optional)
8 large eggs
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Thank you for the parchment paper idea!!

chassidisheveib

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:29 pm
8-10 potato’s
5 eggs
1 onion
Sometimes a zucchini (it’s so well hidden you’d never know it’s there)
1 cup oil (about I measure with my eyes)
Salt and pepper
Bake 90 minutes on 350
Use the s blade
Is so soft I don’t chew it I just swallow it straight from the oven

BH5

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:12 am
I use esti adlers recipe with yukon gold potatoes and I bake it on 350 for 1 and half hrs. It comes out soft and delicious! Everyone loves it.

srbmom

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:37 am
Ra_mom
I just made your recipe and wow! The best kugel I've made ever

AhavatYisrael

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:17 pm
Thank you ra_mom! Your recipe was declared to be "insane" and "heaven". This is clearly my new recipe Smile Where is it from?

zyzy

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:31 pm
For those of us in the uk, which potatoes would you use for ra_mom's recipe?

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:44 pm
AhavatYisrael wrote:
I've been making Esti Wolbes potato kugel recipe for a couple of years and my children are asking for a change. They want a kugel that's more gooey and has a softer crust. I was thinking of keeping the same recipe but adding two more eggs and lowering the temperature/bake time. I might try adding seltzer too.
Has anyone tried this? What temperature should I bake it and for how long? For my erev Shabbos menuchas hanefesh I'd like to shorten the bake time. 2 hours is a LONG time, especially on a short erev Shabbos.
If it changes anything, I usually use russett potatoes and the grater blade because I don't have a kugel blade. Thanks!

Her recipe is our absolute favorite.

sarahph1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Potato Kugel

1 onion (optional)
8 large eggs
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

I use this recipie and it’s yummm
I do 1/2 cup oil tho
And 1 TBS salt
And I rcwlty started adding another small onion cuz I like the sweetness it gives
The gooiness is amazing!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:48 pm
AhavatYisrael wrote:
Thank you ra_mom! Your recipe was declared to be "insane" and "heaven". This is clearly my new recipe Smile Where is it from?

So happy to hear!
It's the overnight kugel recipe from Fresh & Easy. We don't like overnight kugel but this soft fluffy kugel that they start with is divine.
I just made a few small tweaks but their recipe is delicious as they write it.
https://betweencarpools.com/ov.....ugel/

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:57 pm
zyzy wrote:
For those of us in the uk, which potatoes would you use for ra_mom's recipe?

I think a similar one is called white potato in the UK? I'm not sure.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes