Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would You Make Candy Cane Sweets?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:45 am
candycane wrote:
Hey never knew there was anything wrong with my username Can't Believe It

Because we all assumed you're a sweet Litvak married to a descendant of Aharon, which would make you a candy Cayen (that's how echte Litvaks-- of whom there are almost none left--would pronounce Cohen).

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 12:06 pm
zaq wrote:
Because we all assumed you're a sweet Litvak married to a descendant of Aharon, which would make you a candy Cayen (that's how echte Litvaks-- of whom there are almost none left--would pronounce Cohen).

Hu? What What What

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 12:50 pm
The fact that most people are unaware of the origin of certain nonjewish customs doesn't make them acceptable. Virtually no one is aware of the pagan origin of birthday candles, but ask any yeshivish/charedi person and they'll tell you they're assur without knowing why.

https://thecandleland.com/the-.....time/

Candy canes aren't all that different. They just originate from a later religion. And who knows, maybe the symbolism of the crook itself derives from something pagan, too. The Pharaohs carried a crook and flail to symbolize their authority. According to Wikipedia, they
"were originally the attributes of the deity Osiris" that were later adopted by the Pharaohs. Whether or not early Xians adopted the Egyptian symbol or reinvented it themselves, the crook as a nonJewish religious symbol has a long history.

Many Xian customs started out as pagan practices that were repurposed as Xian ones. People do get attached to their customs, and it's hard to get people to give them up. Much easier, when you're trying to convert the masses, to allow them to continue their beloved customs but put a different spin on them. Within a generation or two people will have forgotten all about their earlier derivation.

candycane

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Hu? What What What

Sweet Cohen = Candy Cohen (pronounced cayen by real litvaks)
Whatever LOL this thread just made me laugh

chmom

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:32 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
I once brought a kosher buche de noel to someone's home for Shabbos dinner on December 24. They loved it. Granted they are good friends with a great sense of humor. I say go for it if you like the taste of peppermint.

Please tell me immediately where you found a kosher bûche de Noel!!! I Love them
Also… pretty funny

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:48 pm
Its only an issue if one makes an issue.
In my entire life I never heard why candy canes were part of x-mas.
Its just a candy. Eating isnt hoing to turn someone christian.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:56 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Its only an issue if one makes an issue.
In my entire life I never heard why candy canes were part of x-mas.
Its just a candy. Eating isnt hoing to turn someone christian.

Neither will wearing red and green, even in December, but frum people avoid doing so. For that matter, wearing a cross won't make you a Christian, either, but would you do so? Would you wear a dress decorated with little plus signs all over it? Would you buy cross buns if you could find them with a hechsher?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Neither will wearing red and green, even in December, but frum people avoid doing so. For that matter, wearing a cross won't make you a Christian, either, but would you do so? Would you wear a dress decorated with little plus signs all over it? Would you buy cross buns if you could find them with a hechsher?

How can you compare a candy with no real religious meaning to wearing a cross, the actual sign of christianity?
I literally would never even think about the colors Im wearing and if I found cross buns that were kosher, sure, why not? And if I liked math and had clothing with plus signs, sure Id wear it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen