Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shopping at Goodwill

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:18 pm
My VERY wealthy cousins shop at Goodwill of the Upper East Side. They say they get gorgeous second hand stuff at great prices. I'm fascinated, they are very wealthy, but are proud to do this. I'd be a little uncomfortable with this.... thoughts? Just for schmoozing purposes.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:20 pm
I love goodwill and every time I go to the one in the wealthy suburbs the cars are all high end. I think certain groups value buying second hand because its seen as good for the environment.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:22 pm
There's nothing wrong with being frugal and eco friendly. But at a lot of Goodwill locations, it's bargain quality at luxury prices. I haven't been to Goodwill of the Upper East Side though.

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:25 pm
Is goodwill a religious charity or is it non-sectarian?

peace2

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:28 pm
Thrifting is now considered trendy and ecoconscious so a lot of hipsters are very into doing it

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:45 pm
There is nothing wrong with thrifting but my experience is that it is extremely hard to find any "bargains".

There is a whole subreddit devoted to people posting some of the insane prices that Good Will is charging.

I have no problems with a charitable thrift shop charging high prices because their mission is to make money for their cause. Good Will provides job training and I believe is non-sectarian.

You might do better with a consignment shop.

I prefer to give to the Jewish Women's Council as there are quite a lot of them in Los Angeles so it is easy to drop off

However my favorite place to drop off woman's clothing, children's clothing and toys is to a small charity that helps women establish a new life when they flee from domestic violence. They don't sell the stuff donated but give it to the women who need it. They also run a free child care center so any toys or equivalent are put to immediate use.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
My VERY wealthy cousins shop at Goodwill of the Upper East Side. They say they get gorgeous second hand stuff at great prices. I'm fascinated, they are very wealthy, but are proud to do this. I'd be a little uncomfortable with this.... thoughts? Just for schmoozing purposes.

I live in the city and have gotten a fabulous mink coat and Prada shoes (among other metzias) and the goodwill in my neighborhood. No discomfort, feel blessed that Gd let me get the bargains

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:49 pm
Is goodwill the one that uses (and abuses) people who are sentenced to public service? Or is that the Salvation Army?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:50 pm
Unlike the Salvation Army, which IS a religious organization, and therefore I don't step into their shops, Goodwill is a secular org that seeks to rehabilitate disadvantaged people by training them to work in retail. I was a great fan of Goodwill for the 20+ years that there was one in my neighborhood. Maybe 80% of my weekday wardrobe was from there, and some of my Shabbat clothes as well. I'm not poor, but if I can find stuff for less, why shouldn't I? And to be frank, spending $60 on a shirt really is too rich for my blood.

It doesn't bother me to wear second-hand clothes; the difference between "second-hand" and "vintage" or between Goodwill and a "consignment shop" is one of zip code and attitude. If you would wear a dress formerly owned by Jackie Kennedy that you bought at Sotheby's auction, that's no different from shopping at Goodwill. Just the price is higher.

If you're grossed out by the idea of wearing something that someone else wore, so be it. Nobody's obligating you to shop at thrift stores. But for those who don't have this hangup, thrift shops can be a real pleasure, besides being environmentally and fiscally responsible.

I do not buy second-hand shoes or underwear, though.

jflower

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Natural wrote:
I live in the city and have gotten a fabulous mink coat and Prada shoes (among other metzias) and the goodwill in my neighborhood. No discomfort, feel blessed that Gd let me get the bargains

Good for you! Enjoy.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:20 pm
I live on the Upper East Side too, the Goodwill here can be great, as are the other thrift/consignment stores. I've gotten amazing stuff.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:56 pm
I go to the ones in the north shore of Chicago and the prices are great. I get great stuff for pennies. Curious where the more expensive stores are.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:09 pm
Goodwill of the upper east side is very different
It’s like buying designer things on Poshmark or something

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:11 pm
I’d rather buy cheap and new than brand name and used. That’s just me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:17 pm
amother OP wrote:

But why?

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 6:09 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
I’d rather buy cheap and new than brand name and used. That’s just me.

I wouldn't. New becomes used soon enough, and what's left is the quality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics