Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cookbook Question

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 3:41 pm
I'm designing a cookbook.
Which cookbook that you own do you like the size best? Just trying to figure out which size I should make it.

scruffy

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 3:42 pm
Smaller is better, please! I like ones that can fit standing up on a normal shelf.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 3:51 pm
scruffy wrote:
Smaller is better, please! I like ones that can fit standing up on a normal shelf.
Personally, me too!
But all the newer ones are BIG. Why? Anyone likes it?

scruffy

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 3:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Personally, me too!

I assume they're intended more as a coffee table book. More about the pretty pictures than the recipes.

It's super annoying though.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:19 pm
More than a specific size, I would like it spiral bound! A page protector would be great too.

And an easy to read font in a size large enough so it can be read by people over 40.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Personally, me too!

The illusion of grandeur in order to raise the prices.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 5:00 pm
The bigger ones do sell more, they're impressive. I think the happy medium is like the original KBD cookbook. It's about 9 5/8ths by 8 1/8. Hardcover, but inner binding is spiral which makes it easier to turn the pages and keep them open. The only thing to do differently, is to provide more photos.
I love this size and think you can make it impressive.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 5:05 pm
I am probably an outlier but I like digital cookbooks.

This is because I can print out a recipe I am making - in large font - and put in on the refrigerator so I can see easily while making the recipe.

If I feel like I would make the recipe again I file the recipe in a notebook along with any notes I might make.

Otherwise I just toss out the paper

isrmss91

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 5:51 pm
I need a larger font, I need to see the receipe, not use a magnifying glass to read the ingredients or directions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:44 pm
Thanks loads everyone for your input!!!!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:31 pm
I like the size of the balabastas choice, but the binding is breaking

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:34 pm
Honestly, the size doesn't matter as long as it isn't even bigger than the ones out already...

I love seeing pictures of each recipe
Also would love side dish suggestions for each main (I know that's not what you asked)

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:41 pm
I wish they could have the laminated pages like childrens books. I mean, we are cooking with it and it's bound to get dirty.
If laminated pages, bigger is better
If not, smaller is better

Also pics of every recipe please!

scintilla

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:14 pm
I like Dinner Done size. Peas love and carrots for example is a little too big, it gets unwieldy.

peace2

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:58 pm
scintilla wrote:
I like Dinner Done size. Peas love and carrots for example is a little too big, it gets unwieldy.

I second this. My countertops aren't very wide and larger cookbooks take up too much of my prep space. Dinner done is smaller and more manageable but I can still read it easily

lucky14

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The bigger ones do sell more, they're impressive. I think the happy medium is like the original KBD cookbook. It's about 9 5/8ths by 8 1/8. Hardcover, but inner binding is spiral which makes it easier to turn the pages and keep them open. The only thing to do differently, is to provide more photos.
I love this size and think you can make it impressive.

Yes that’s a great size.

I disagree about the bigger ones personally. It’s annoying to take out and look through to find recipes. But I understand why I may be in the minority.

Definently pictures of each recipe. The more pictures the more likely I am to purchase a cookbook.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:18 pm
I like the bigger cookbooks. But maybe because I don’t often cook with recipes. I enjoy looking through them, so a luxurious cookbook is appealing for me. If I do use a recipe, I usually lay it down on a separate table where there’s room,

OTOH if a smaller cookbook keeps the price down, then that could also be a sell. Cookbooks aren’t cheap!

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:22 pm
I like fresh n easy and dining in size

lamplighter

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:34 pm
I want to be able to leave the cookbook open to the page I'm using without it taking up the whole counter or shutting closed.
Also clear and large fonts are helpful for reading while I'm working.
I personally prefer the dinner done/fresh and easy shape for utility and clear layout.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:37 pm
I'm only designing the cookbook. But I'll forward all of your suggestions to the one who hired me, the owner of the cookbook. She wants it to sell;)

She is getting professional pictures for every single recipe! Smile She told me to only design the left side of each spread because on the right side goes a full page picture.

All your suggestions are spot on! I agree to all ! Especially that it should stay open on its own, it's called layflat pages. Layflat pages are more expensive to print, but may be worth it. Maybe a spiral bound, as someone suggested, would be a good idea, definitely more practical. However, layflat is far more beautiful. Again this is not up to me, but I'll forward

Since I am in the design field, yes a smaller size would bring the price down for printing and for shipping, but I'm not sure how significantly cheaper it would be. The photographer and designer Wink charge the same amount regardless of the paper size .

The laminate pages which is a great idea would sky rocket the production price, so I doubt it would be worth it.

Those who mention larger fonts, Do you have a cookbook that fits that description? there is more or less a standard size font used for print which is a comfortable size for most people to read. So I wonder how much bigger can actually work for you but still be ok for everyone.

Thanks again everyone!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen