Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How many threads so far pro/con tipping and gift giving?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:34 pm
And why do they deserve it?
And why don't I get tipped at my office job?
And what about my therapist, bus driver, garbage collector, mailman, cleaning lady, manicurist, sheitel macher, rebbi, english teacher, babysitter, tutor....

Some subjects on imamother will never be repeated enough... Popcorn Whistling

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:03 pm
It really isn't complicated. It's because I appreciate them.

(I haven't read the other threads)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:04 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
It really isn't complicated. It's because I appreciate them.

(I haven't read the other threads)

Same. It’s an expense I’d gladly accept.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:20 pm
So this is how it goes every year.

Someone posts a complaint. Someone from the opposite side voices their complaint. The two sides argue back and forth, stronger and stronger, with this understanding that teachers want bribes and have bad middos and are brats about the whole thing. There are some posters who try to quietly chime in saying they are teachers who don’t expect anything and appreciate everything, and those are very much ignored in favor of the ‘all the teachers I know are this bratty’ mindset.

And then there are people like me who read and follow and don’t dare add our two cents in. And we move on and do whatever we were planning on doing anyway.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 6:46 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
So this is how it goes every year.

Someone posts a complaint. Someone from the opposite side voices their complaint. The two sides argue back and forth, stronger and stronger, with this understanding that teachers want bribes and have bad middos and are brats about the whole thing. There are some posters who try to quietly chime in saying they are teachers who don’t expect anything and appreciate everything, and those are very much ignored in favor of the ‘all the teachers I know are this bratty’ mindset.

And then there are people like me who read and follow and don’t dare add our two cents in. And we move on and do whatever we were planning on doing anyway.

Exactly!!
And somehow we still have 3 ot 4 threads every yom tov about who gives what and who would never.... LOL

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 7:03 am
I teach high school and got two tips that I feel stupid about. For a new and honest spin.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 7:06 am
amother Copper wrote:
I teach high school and got two tips that I feel stupid about. For a new and honest spin.

That's a first. Would you have rather not received them?

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 7:17 am
amother Mustard wrote:
That's a first. Would you have rather not received them?

I don’t know. It just felt weird. When I taught younger grades I didn’t feel the same way. Maybe it’s because now I get paid double and I have enough in general b”h.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 7:20 am
I don’t want anyone to feel like their gifts are not appreciated. I did appreciate the thought. I only thought they really didn’t have to go through the trouble.

NechaMom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 8:18 am
amother OP wrote:
And why do they deserve it?
And why don't I get tipped at my office job?
And what about my therapist, bus driver, garbage collector, mailman, cleaning lady, manicurist, sheitel macher, rebbi, english teacher, babysitter, tutor....

Some subjects on imamother will never be repeated enough... Popcorn Whistling

Better than the AMA threads.

peace2

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 8:24 am
NechaMom wrote:
Better than the AMA threads.

Nah, I loved watching people writing about ridiculously controversial topics and then getting very defensive (or just leaving) when others voiced their opinions

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:10 pm
Whats so hard about having a mindset that tips are part of life and its an expense just like buying oil and wicks for chunuka or grape juice for pesach. Same with summer tipping . People get stressed all over again every time (and we barely make ends meet so I don't mean to be insensitive)

kugelEater

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 11:35 am
Every year when one of these repeated issues comes up, someone should just bump the existing threads. Instead of posting new posts, everyone can read through and then decide if they have anything useful to add that wasn't mentioned already!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics