Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Admissions help for law school

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:07 pm
Can anyone recommend someone who specializes with law school admissions, personal statement?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:12 am
Do you have a law school advisor from your undergraduate institution who can read over what you've already written? This should be a personal statement from you that really reflects your accomplishments and objectives but from a unique perspective. They are interested in your ability to write and express yourself. Also, as a future lawyer, you may need to state a position and defend it. I had my undergraduate English professor read my essay, which I think was on the Israeli-Arab conflict. He really didn't like it, but I was accepted to a number of schools. Your undergraduate academic record, LSAT/GRE (though a few are test optional), and past experiences are the most important part of your application. Good luck.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:54 am
The forums at TopLawSchools.com were invaluable to me as a resource during the admissions process about 15 years ago. They're like imamother, you have to sort the wheat from the chaff and apply a grain of salt, but there is a lot of good stuff there.

The LSAT is typically by far the most important piece of your application, then grades, and everything else is very minor, as long as it is reasonably good and not bad or alarming. A disturbing or off-putting or sloppy personal statement can definitely disqualify you, but there probably won't be much difference between a very good one and an excellent one. So it is important to have a competently written, polished personal statement, but there is probably not a huge return to crafting the most amazing one ever.

YMMV.

https://www.top-law-schools.co.....?f=59

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:33 am
Also consider how your essay might resonate with the people reading it on the admissions board. I wrote an emotional personal essay and received numerous scholarship offers from different law schools. My grades were good and my LSAT score was good but nothing insane, so I believe that it was my personal essay that likely set me apart to warrant the offers.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:43 am
Can I very much advise you to take out as little student loans as possible to get through a law degree. Most lawyers do not make BIG firm money and they are flailing in student debt.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone recommend someone who specializes with law school admissions, personal statement?

My husband probably can do that. His a lawyer and tutors people for lsat.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:51 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Can I very much advise you to take out as little student loans as possible to get through a law degree. Most lawyers do not make BIG firm money and they are flailing in student debt.

Exactly, even the schools with good names nowadays the students have issues getting jobs.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:54 am
amother OP wrote:

If this is for you, a married women with kids, then I’d highly think it over very thoroughly before applying. Once you have kids school becomes 10 times harder and most likely not worth it. Think about paying for babysitters, tuition, etc… so many expenses and you don’t know what the return will be. Don’t do it, unless you’re already in the program and just want to finish it because of the time and money you already invested.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:55 am
amother OP wrote:

If someone else writes it for you, it's not very personal, is it?

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:07 am
amother Hosta wrote:
If someone else writes it for you, it's not very personal, is it?

OP didn't say she's looking for someone to write it.

She said she's looking for who gives advice on how to make a good impression with what is written.

The former would be dishonest, the latter is a good idea.

It's just as personal if it's crafted well. Authors use editors, too, but it doesn't make the work less their own.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:03 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
The forums at TopLawSchools.com were invaluable to me as a resource during the admissions process about 15 years ago. They're like imamother, you have to sort the wheat from the chaff and apply a grain of salt, but there is a lot of good stuff there.

The LSAT is typically by far the most important piece of your application, then grades, and everything else is very minor, as long as it is reasonably good and not bad or alarming. A disturbing or off-putting or sloppy personal statement can definitely disqualify you, but there probably won't be much difference between a very good one and an excellent one. So it is important to have a competently written, polished personal statement, but there is probably not a huge return to crafting the most amazing one ever.

YMMV.

https://www.top-law-schools.co.....?f=59

Thank you for this tip, it’s really helpful!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:07 pm
[quote="justforfun87"]Can I very much advise you to take out as little student loans as possible to get through a law degree. Most lawyers do not make BIG firm money and they are flailing.

Will def keep this in mind, thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:09 pm
Would you mind giving me his info?
amother Denim wrote:
My husband probably can do that. His a lawyer and tutors people for lsat.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:19 pm
My kids are mostly older now and we have a lot of support and my DH is fully on board. Although I love my family, this is something I need to do for myself. Not for the money, but for the sense of identity I feel I had given up when I had children.
quote="amother Denim"]If this is for you, a married women with kids, then I’d highly think it over very thoroughly before applying. Once you have kids school becomes 10 times harder and most likely not worth it. Think about paying for babysitters, tuition, etc… so many expenses and you don’t know what the return will be. Don’t do it, unless you’re already in the program and just want to finish it because of the time and money you already invested.[/quote]

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:20 pm
I appreciate you clarifying this point on my behalf.
imasinger wrote:
OP didn't say she's looking for someone to write it.

She said she's looking for who gives advice on how to make a good impression with what is written.

The former would be dishonest, the latter is a good idea.

It's just as personal if it's crafted well. Authors use editors, too, but it doesn't make the work less their own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries