Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you melt chocolate chips?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:35 am
Because mine burns every time I try no matter how low and slow I do it

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:38 am
What method are you using? You can try the BCP method in a 9x13 in the oven at like 250 I think for a few minutes but maybe add a little oil (the recipe I’m talking about is with peanut butter for muddy buddies). Or you can make a double boiler-boil a pot of water and put glass bowl on top after to melt the chocolate

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:38 am
You put a pot of water on a low simmer and put a glass bowl on top filled with the chocolate and a little bit of oil and keep mixing the chocolate until your desired consistency.
Enjoy

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:40 am
Microwave. Do not wait until they look melted. You need to stir

bsy

Ziploc bag in a cup of hot water

mompower

In a bowl in the microwave.

30 seconds at a time. Mix. Another 30 seconds. Mix. Until ready.

Foolproof and so easy

rgr

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:42 am
Chocolate chips have a coating so that they don't melt right away. Otherwise they would melt in chocolate chip cookies!

If you want better results you can use baking chocolate

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 9:14 am
mompower wrote:
In a bowl in the microwave.

30 seconds at a time. Mix. Another 30 seconds. Mix. Until ready.

Foolproof and so easy

I do this even with not good quality choc chips.
Can mix after less time aswel.

I also add a little bit of oil at the bottom of the bowl.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 9:16 am
Microwave all chocolate - take it out before it looks melted and stir.

Otherwise, you need to melt very slowly over a double boiler - I.e. not on the flame but where the top pot sits over hot water. This is tedious which is why most people microwave ever since microwaves have become a standard appliance in kitchens.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 9:17 am
I do them in the microwave on a defrost setting. I first do 2 minutes, and after that, 30 seconds at a time, all on defrost. Never burn.

I've also seen that after the 2 minutes on defrost, you can do 10 seconds on regular setting, and stir, and then another 10 seconds, and stir, but no more than 10 seconds at a time on a regular setting without stopping to stir.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 9:44 am
bsy wrote:

Same, I use the quart size soup type containers with a freezer bag for the chocolate chips. Works great, no mess and no risk of burning anything. Just takes a little bit longer.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 3:07 pm
I use a double boiler. I just put it up, go do something else and come back to it when I'm ready. Then I stir until smooth. I don't use my microwaves cuz I use them for milchig and fleishig and prefer to keep the chocolate parve. (yes, there are different opinions on microwaves, but as I am the only one who cleans them, I have no idea what someone may have splattered all over it since I last cleaned them)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 3:21 pm
did you post in this forum just so you could be anonymous?

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 3:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Because mine burns every time I try no matter how low and slow I do it

Chocolate chips don't melt well. They're made to keep their shape in cookies etc.

The cooking chocolate bars melt much easier and smoother.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 3:42 pm
I melt them in a plastic bowl on the oven. I turn the oven on high and the burners on, so the chocolate melts within a few minutes
I don't do it in the microwave because I like to keep the chocolate pareve. Another way to melt them is on a parchment paper in the betty

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 7:06 am
bsy wrote:

Same, I find this the easiest and least complicated method. Although I do find choc chips don't melt as easily as a choc bar does.
I mainly only melt chocolate for drizzling, so I melt in the bag, then cut a tiny hole in the corner and then I can drizzle the chocolate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen