Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Recovered Depression and Sem -Don't Bother?
Previous  1  2

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:29 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
But was all that infor on their original applications? I agree with OPs concern. Of course I think the seminary should know the girls history especially if they’re currently on medication, but I’m not sure I think it should go on the application. It should not matter to whether the girl is accepted or not and therefore not relevant information to give over during the application process. Once she’s accepted she can tell them her history

I agree with this except for one point, where a poster wrote about her own experience and said, you don't want your daughter in a seminary that isn't capable of dealing with this appropriately. I think not putting this on the application risks an acceptance with a seminary where you don't know their attitude toward your DD once you tell them....I wouldn't want my DD in such a place, if they wouldn't have accepted her knowing her medical history.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:11 pm
She WANTS to go. She wants the opportunity but is already expecting the rejection due to her history. Expecting her high school not to push for her because she was a “negative Nelly”.
She feels seminary and a specific one she has in mind will be life changing for her in so many positive ways but that she won’t be given the chance.
That’s all.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:35 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
I agree with this except for one point, where a poster wrote about her own experience and said, you don't want your daughter in a seminary that isn't capable of dealing with this appropriately. I think not putting this on the application risks an acceptance with a seminary where you don't know their attitude toward your DD once you tell them....I wouldn't want my DD in such a place, if they wouldn't have accepted her knowing her medical history.

I didn't put this info on my application, and my seminary was great dealing with these situations. I would say, speak to them immediately after the acceptance, before registering, and see how they respond.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
She WANTS to go. She wants the opportunity but is already expecting the rejection due to her history. Expecting her high school not to push for her because she was a “negative Nelly”.
She feels seminary and a specific one she has in mind will be life changing for her in so many positive ways but that she won’t be given the chance.
That’s all.

This is a good challenge for your daughter then. Instead of assuming things will work out negatively, ask her to keep an open mind. As someone who has been depressed in the past, it is easy to slip into negative thinking patterns or low self esteem, even if you aren't depressed in the moment. Sit down and talk to her about imagining the best that could happen if she applies, instead of expecting the worst. If she doesn't try to apply, she definitely won't get in - we miss 100% of the shots we don’t take. So it is worth a shot to allow the best option to be a possibility.

And maybe worthwhile to talk to her high-school as well, to mitigate any 'bad press' from them. This may also calm her down and increase her chances.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:28 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

But there is a difference between not accepting to school because of “better” candidates and genuinely not being equipped to deal with these issues. If there were a few girls competing for one spot, all with comparable applications, then the first to go would be the girl with mental health issues. It doesn’t mean the school isn’t supportive or accommodating to girls with these issues but if deciding between two girls why not take the one who doesn’t already have problems?

I like what another poster just mentioned, where after an acceptance reach out to the school and inform them. If their reaction tells you they won’t be accommodating to your DD then don’t send there. But a lot of sems are more than supportive of girls with these issues (I was in the same boat FWIW), even if that would impact their acceptance decisions

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 10:29 am
I spoke to the high school - they basically said they aren't going to lie if asked directly. Sad

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 2:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
If my daughter has been successfully been treated for low grade depression and is on a mild anti-depressant should I not bother trying to apply for seminary in Israel? She really really wants to go and has been in therapy and been told she is a good candidate for seminary in Israel by her therapist. However, the application specifically asks about mental health and also the reference forms do, what are her chances?

I’m sure it will be harder but should be doable. However you must be honest with yourselves if this is the right thing for her. It absolutely can be but make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info