Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I want to hear how you did it!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 11:09 am
If you were like me 15-20 lbs overweight and found it veeeery hard to stick to a diet but did so anyway, can you tell please what you did? I want hear about your journey!

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 11:59 am
I went cold turkey off of sugary things. No cakes, cookies, candies, sweet junk.
Since a bit after pesach last year, ive lost 35 pounds.
And only drinking water.
No diet. Just changed the way I eat.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 12:20 pm
I've been working on losing weight for 3 months now, I started before Rosh Hashana. So far, I have managed to lose 16 lbs. I'm still going on.
My method is sticking very firmly to a 1700 calories limit and having a daily calorie diary, no cheating allowed. Literally everything that goes into my mouth, even a crumb or licking off a spoon, gets recorded. Nearly every food gets weighed on scales. I weigh clementines, eggs, spoonfuls of ketchup, slices of bread, cheese etc., you get the idea.
Only on Shabbat I don't record, obviously, but I estimate as closely as possible and allow myself 2000 calories. During the week, I try to get even below 1700, to around 1600.

It works. I have not cut out any food groups, I even allow myself about 100 calories worth in chocolate per day so I don't feel deprived. I try to make sure I get enough protein. Other than that, I'm just brutally honest to myself about absolutely everything I eat and drink.

I have taken to drinking black tea because it allegedly helps to reduce appetite, maybe it does a bit. I also have taken 5-http for the same reason, but I found that it gives me nightmares, so I've paused that lately.

Edited for typos

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 1:29 pm
I thought more about my body than about the food. So instead of "that looks scrumptious" I thought "my body deserves to be healthy and in good shape."

Once I was respecting my body, it was easy to up my exercise as well.

This was an absolute game changer from the previous attempts at restricting myself, depriving myself, controlling myself. Here I was serving myself, uplifting myself, etc.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 1:32 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
I thought more about my body than about the food. So instead of "that looks scrumptious" I thought "my body deserves to be healthy and in good shape."

Once I was respecting my body, it was easy to up my exercise as well.

This was an absolute game changer from the previous attempts at restricting myself, depriving myself, controlling myself. Here I was serving myself, uplifting myself, etc.

Im the first replier. This, what I bolded, is also so important. Changes ones perspective.
I also made myself a mwntra and pit it on my phone calendar to see each morning how junk food is really bad for me. Helped me a lot.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Im the first replier. This, what I bolded, is also so important. Changes ones perspective.
I also made myself a mwntra and pit it on my phone calendar to see each morning how junk food is really bad for me. Helped me a lot.

I'm the other poster from above. Not contradicting the others at all.
I just want to add, maybe different problems need different solutions. For people who have a junk food problem, changing perspective on that is important.

For me, my problem was different. I was already eating relatively little junk food, so I didn't change that. Instead, I did have a massive problem with portion sizes of normal food. I used to eat healthy sandwiches, but 6 (!) of them at work, or fish and veggies, but like 4 portions one after the other. I'd also go through half a chicken or 3-4 plates of pasta in one meal. That's why for me personally, calories counting and food weighing is gold. I have to train my eyes and brain to get used to smaller portions. Sometimes, I'm still astonished to find that I don't starve if I stop after 2 sandwiches or 1 chicken leg.

OP, find out what your overeating issue is.
Quality, like in junk food?
Or quantity, like my case, too big portions?

amother
Mocha

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 1:49 pm

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 6:21 pm
My problem is the evenings. I can eat my healthy breakfast and lunch and healthy snacks but come suppertime and after, I go way off. I can have a picture perfect day and then screw it up super fast. Assuming it comes with the stress of having everyone home at the end of the long day.

Lemonade 2323

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 6:24 pm
Slimming World.

Plenty to eat.
Never hungry.
Consistent weight loss.

amother
Hunter

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 6:29 pm
High protein low carbs. Works for me.
If I get really starved in the evening I eat nuts, fruits or popcorn.

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 7:25 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
Slimming World.

Plenty to eat.
Never hungry.
Consistent weight loss.

What’s slimming world?

amother
Thistle

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 7:32 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
What’s slimming world?

Certain carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) are free.

Certain proteins (chicken, eggs, Lean beef, salmon, white fish) are free.

All fruit and veg are free.

Cheese, bread & milk are limited.

10 'syns' a day included.

Fill your plate with as much free food as you want as long as a third of your plate is veg.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 7:39 pm
I wasn't overweight but I got sick and lost 35 lbs. nutritionist for diabetes.

Alwaysmiling

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Certain carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) are free.

Certain proteins (chicken, eggs, Lean beef, salmon, white fish) are free.

All fruit and veg are free.

Cheese, bread & milk are limited.

10 'syns' a day included.

Fill your plate with as much free food as you want as long as a third of your plate is veg.

Can you help me with a link for more detailed info? This diet looks like a dream. Potatoes?

Did you lose weight on it?

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 9:44 am
Alwaysmiling wrote:
Can you help me with a link for more detailed info? This diet looks like a dream. Potatoes?

Did you lose weight on it?

I also didn't believe it at the begining, sounded too good to be true, but yes I lost 4 stone on it in 14 months.
It was very easy I was never hungry.

I live in the UK, it's a very popular diet with groups being advertised all over.
Do you live in the US?

If you can't find a local group try on-line.
I believe there are on-line groups.

Lemonade 2323

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:17 am
amother Yolk wrote:
What’s slimming world?

OP would you like me to post some examples of 'free meals' on the slimming world plan?

S-HappyMama

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:10 am
I lost 30 pounds and I've kept them off more than 10 years.
Lots of diets worked for me over the years, but I lost and gained, gained and lost. After trying just about everything out there, I found the 12 steps. It has the components of successful self-help systems: groups, accountability, emotional management, and a behavioral system. After several years eating healthy and keeping off the weight, I still felt deprived. Then I discovered how specific EFT tapping techniques began to change my relationship with food altogether by getting to the roots of why I do the things I do - not just eating, but in other areas as where I struggled with a lack of self-discipline. It was a game-changer all around.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:16 am
For me it’s been working out consistently 5-6 days a week for an hour or so each day.

And not compensating by eating more.

I’ve lost about twenty pounds and kept it off over the years by doing this.

Hard work but it pays off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise