Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Americans in Israel
Previous  1  2  3

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:49 am
keym wrote:
As an American, I don't think Bibi speaks English like an Anglo. Hes good, hes fluent, but the accent comes out constantly. And he's been doing this for years.

And no one cares!!!

nylon

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 3:09 pm
Yes, Bibi is fluent but it's also clear English isn't his native language. His accent is light, but a native English speaker can hear it.

When I speak Hebrew, I approximate the correct sounds of the ל and ר. But I still don't sound Israeli. I sound like an Anglo who is making the effort. Same in Spanish. I can roll my r's and say 'b' and 'd' correctly (they are not always hard like English) but again I still sound like a second language speaker.

There are levels of accent. Unless you learn as a small child the odds are you will always sound like a second language speaker. Look at foreign actors and actresses. Many are fully fluent in English, but still retain some accent. There are subtleties that you just can't hear or master unless you learn them very young when the brain is still plastic and learning how phonemes map to sounds.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:56 pm
Nobody cares. we are a nation that has been scattered, that is why we all have different accents.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:58 pm
Nobody
Cares

We care about achdus

funkyfrummom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:06 pm
keym wrote:
As an American, I don't think Bibi speaks English like an Anglo. Hes good, hes fluent, but the accent comes out constantly. And he's been doing this for years.

This.

I actually just went and listened to Bibi making a statement because I was confused by all the comments. I have never thought he speaks like a native speaker... fluent English speaker, yes 100%... but with an accent (albeit not a strong one) that I can identify as being an Israeli accent (as opposed to it being non-identifiable).

Just because you are speaking English with American pronunciation and intonation/inflection (as opposed to British or Canadian) doesn't mean you sound like a native speaker to native speakers... it just hints to where or with whom you learned to speak English.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions