Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Soft spot closed too early

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:43 pm
The doctor says my six month olds soft spot is almost completely closed. We have an appointment scheduled with a neurosurgeon and I’m really nervous. Has anyone had this?

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:55 pm
I’ve seen it

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:00 pm
its something to address but not life concerning.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:25 pm
Yes, my nephew had this. Don’t be nervous. You are doing the right thing by taking care of it and he’s still young enough for them to help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Yes, my nephew had this. Don’t be nervous. You are doing the right thing by taking care of it and he’s still young enough for them to help.

Did your nephew have a surgery?

MommyPhD

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:42 pm
Yes. It is called Craniosynostosis. My middle son had this problem. It was noticed by his pediatrician at 3 months. We took him to the local children's hospital, which recommended surgery to correct it. If you don't correct it, they can have developmental delays or even brain damage.

They offered two kinds of surgery. A smaller one where he would wear a helmet for several months with a followup surgery, or a more invasive, "one and done" surgery. We picked the one and done surgery. Afaik these surgeries are not so uncommon. He did beautifully and is three now. He's highly intelligent and articulate and suffered no negative effects. They will have you followup with the plastic surgeon annually. The way they did it was actually interesting. They put in fake bones to keep the spot open and the fake bones will eventually dissolve.

Feel free to ask more questions! I have no regrets at all and encourage you not to worry.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 2:12 am
How can you know if it closed

Orangehead

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 3:02 am
amother OP wrote:
The doctor says my six month olds soft spot is almost completely closed. We have an appointment scheduled with a neurosurgeon and I’m really nervous. Has anyone had this?

It could be normal. How’s the head circumference?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 6:53 am
Yes it happens and yes it's something you must take care of.
The soft spot closing too early does not allow the brain to grow and develop and can cause brain damage/mental retardation if not taken care of
BH your pediatrician noticed it and you will take care of it, so there is nothing to worry about!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:14 am
Orangehead wrote:
It could be normal. How’s the head circumference?

The pediatrician says it’s normal but still told us to make an appointment with a Neurosurgeon

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:14 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Yes it happens and yes it's something you must take care of.
The soft spot closing too early does not allow the brain to grow and develop and can cause brain damage/mental retardation if not taken care of
BH your pediatrician noticed it and you will take care of it, so there is nothing to worry about!

I’m worried about surgery

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:18 am
I had this with two kids and it was fine. Some kids are just born with big heads and not major gaps. Don't worry about surgery until you get there.

Orangehead

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:20 am
amother OP wrote:
The pediatrician says it’s normal but still told us to make an appointment with a Neurosurgeon

3% of infants will have their soft spot close between 5-9 months. Likely, your baby is fine.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:26 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
I had this with two kids and it was fine. Some kids are just born with big heads and not major gaps. Don't worry about surgery until you get there.

When you say it was fine you mean they didn’t need surgery?

MommyPhD

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:26 am
OP did you see my post about the surgery my son had? It was a very easy surgery and recovery.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 10:52 am
MommyPhD wrote:
OP did you see my post about the surgery my son had? It was a very easy surgery and recovery.

How long did it take?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics