Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Degree for Alyiah

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:31 pm
Hi! I am planning on making alyiah in about 2-4 years. I have a BA in Psychology and I wanted to get a MA in something I could use in Israel.

Can be related to psychology or not, high tech field is a possibility, I like the medical field as well but I didn't do any pre med courses, only Calculus, so this is probably a slimmer possibility. I want to be able to make a nice living.

Israeli imamothers, what do you suggest I study? Thank you so much!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:39 pm
Bumping this. Anyone have any ideas?

salt

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 1:21 am
Some kind of computer course is probably best - not sure if it needs be an actual MA.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 1:30 am
salt wrote:
Some kind of computer course is probably best - not sure if it needs be an actual MA.

Thanks! Any areas that are more needed? UI, cyber security, programming?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 1:35 am
DH works in cyber security. The money is great, he earns 28k shekels per month BH but I don't recommend it, especially for a frum female. It's a very male dominated and secular environment. Also you're competing with people who were in IDF units like 8200 etc who have over a decade's experience before they hit 30. Only upside is that weak Hebrew would not hold you back in hitech, as, in most companies, almost everything is in English.

Going into hitech is not a bad idea, but perhaps as a technical writer instead of coding etc.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 1:48 am
Psychology is also a needed field. Have you considered it? If you can make the Hebrew paperwork happen, then the whole country is going to need therapy over the next year.

. It's also a good degree for getting hired for research

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 3:38 am
Whatever field you decide, look into the licensing requirements and make sure it’s not a big deal are when coming from US . Some fields are a lot of work.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 5:06 am
Rappel wrote:
Psychology is also a needed field. Have you considered it? If you can make the Hebrew paperwork happen, then the whole country is going to need therapy over the next year.

. It's also a good degree for getting hired for research

Yeah I was going to say this, psychologist is a good job here too (and it's hard to get the degree here).

The one issue here is that language skills would be a lot more important as a psychologist. But honestly you're going to want to speak Hebrew on a high level either way, and I don't think learning psychology + Hebrew is necessarily going to be a lot harder than learning computer programming.

Ultimately, whatever interests you more.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 11:57 am
Hi tech usually comes with higher salaries. My dh׳s team has many religious women software engineers. You also often don’t need to transfer most hi tech degrees. Neither me nor my husband did.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Clover wrote:
Hi tech usually comes with higher salaries. My dh׳s team has many religious women software engineers. You also often don’t need to transfer most hi tech degrees. Neither me nor my husband did.

Interesting! Which kind of degree would you recommend?
And thanks everyone for the responses. I love psychology, but I don't think I want to do a PhD in the US because I plan on making alyiah sooner and my Hebrew is not good enough for a program in Israel (unless there is a PhD in psychology in English somewhere there?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions