Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
13 yo with uti

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 8:26 am
My 13 yr old got a UTI for the second time in less than a year. My Dr wants her to get an u/s of the bladder and kidneys. Anyone ever have this?

My Dr is a bit of an alarmist, so I'm not super concerned, but I would still like to hear if anyone else has a teenager with uti.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:10 pm
Anyone?

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:14 pm
Don’t know if this helps but one of my DDs had a UTI as a baby and we had to do an ultrasound of her bladder and kidneys, so that’s not unusual. BH everything was fine but sometimes there are structural issues.

She had another one as a preschooler. Some people are just prone to them. It happens to run in my family.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:16 pm
They did it for my baby last year.
She had just turned 1.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:28 pm
Thank you both. So seems like it's normal. My Dr said it's not normal for kids to have UTI, and twice in less than a year so he wants me to check it out.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:31 pm
I had as a teen & had an ultrasound.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:31 pm
If it's the first time and she's already 13, I think it would be very surprising if there was something wrong with her bladder/kidneys...I would wait for another one.
Did you tell her about being careful to wipe front to back? If she's prone to uti,it might help.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:33 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
If it's the first time and she's already 13, I think it would be very surprising if there was something wrong with her bladder/kidneys...I would wait for another one.
Did you tell her about being careful to wipe front to back? If she's prone to uti,it might help.

It's the second. The first was end of March.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you both. So seems like it's normal. My Dr said it's not normal for kids to have UTI, and twice in less than a year so he wants me to check it out.

It’s not very typical but it’s also not a cause for alarm. Try giving her cranberry juice or supplements (not as a substitute for antibiotics!) and make sure she drinks enough water.
I have a relative who had multiple UTIs as a child and it turned out that she had a third kidney that was causing the issue!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
It’s not very typical but it’s also not a cause for alarm. Try giving her cranberry juice or supplements (not as a substitute for antibiotics!) and make sure she drinks enough water.
I have a relative who had multiple UTIs as a child and it turned out that she had a third kidney that was causing the issue!

Well, now that's unusual. But like molasses said, my daughter is already 13 and she only had the first one a few months ago. The chances of something being wrong are pretty slim, but it's always good to be cautious.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:25 pm
March was 10 months ago. Try the common sense remedies first.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:27 pm
oneofakind wrote:
March was 10 months ago. Try the common sense remedies first.

She is in antibiotics and I could try all the natural remedies too. But if there's something wrong, it would be good to know. Point is, my Dr doesn't think it's normal for a teen to get a UTI at all so twice is making his antennas go to.

And again, my Dr is a bit of an alarmist so I'm not super concerned. I'm pretty sure it's all fine. But just to be sure I'll take her for the u/s.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 3:36 pm
Make sure she goes to the bathroom when she needs to, even in school. Sometimes girls avoid school bathrooms.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:00 pm
If she's menstruating remind her to change her pad often enough and wipe super well front to back. My daughter had a UTI a couple days after major surgery. That appears to have been the cause. Antibiotics did the trick.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:07 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
If she's menstruating remind her to change her pad often enough and wipe super well front to back. My daughter had a UTI a couple days after major surgery. That appears to have been the cause. Antibiotics did the trick.

I asked the dr if it could be from not changing her pad often enough and he said no.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children