Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Computer filter for kids

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 3:01 am
Got a pc for the kids so they can stop borrowing mine every time they want to type a report or play with Paint. I want them to be able to do just about that and not much else (light research maybe.)

First thing I did was call Tag and they set me up with Techloq. Wanted to check if it was installed correctly so I searched 50 shades of gray because it was the first inappropriate thing that came to mind (I've never read nor watched it, but I've heard it's mighty explicit.) There was plenty of info accessible, including the Wikipedia page that included explicit details.

First thought was maybe my settings are wrong. So I called back TAG and asked them to tighten it up. Restarted computer, went back online. Clearly my filter got updated because now all skin is crudely covered over (I'm talking about the faces of kids in the stock photo on my optometrist's home page, had to look up the phone number and since I was on the kids' computer anyway it was convenient) but I was still able to EASILY access the 50 shades of gray wiki. Mind you this actually had the word "s. E. X." written out, never mind other sensitive content that you might argue is too subtle for the filter bot.

In addition, there seemed to be no restriction on the Microsoft app store.

So I'm not sure Techloq is for me. Am I doing it wrong or is it a dud? It seems to be the standard recommended by the schools that are strict about using filters so I'm confused.

Is there a better option?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 5:39 am
Would love to hear other ppls options besides tag. Need one for my kids. .my 6 year old talks into tablet ok Google all day

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 6:43 am
That sounds similar to how it is for us. It works for us because it wasn't my goal to block most of the internet. When we first installed it, I shopped for women's bathing suits just to see if I could, and I was able to see the models perfectly, so they offered to install the annoying image filtering. Now we can't even see pictures of our kids sent to us by the photographer, and unblocking the image filtering for a specific site often doesn't work.

There are sites, like our shul website, that they like to block. We request access, and it stays unblocked for a few weeks and then gets blocked again. It's a little annoying but we just have to keep asking to unblock it. I guess our shul is just not frum enough.

Einikel

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 6:45 am
If they just need access to basic programs maybe disable the browsers?

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:31 am
I don't want to disable the browser because they are going to need email soon, Google docs, etc. If I disable the browser will those apps still work?

They're also hoping to use it for light research but if I need to disable the browser and have them use my computer under supervision for that like we did until now, I guess we could live with that. It's annoying but survivable for now as long as they don't get more research-heavy assignments.

I'm just mystified at how the most recommended filter lets through a search for a book that even the loosest not frum people say is shockingly explicit. And a website that discusses the s.e.x. therein.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics