Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Refrigerators

Which layout fridge do you have?
Freezer on top. Fridge on bottom  
 69%  [ 23 ]
Fridge on top. Freezer on bottom  
 12%  [ 4 ]
Side by side  
 18%  [ 6 ]
Split fridge on top. Freezer on bottom.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

queen

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 8:59 pm
We will be buying a new refrigerator soon, and not sure which configuration to get....?

Side by side
freezers on top
freezers on bottom.....

What would you suggest based on your experience?

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 9:15 pm
Side by side leaves u very little fridge space though cooler looking Exclamation
I don't have but do plan on getting a refigerator top and freezer bottom or pref just a refigerator since we already have a hot point big deep freezer. For now I have yep you guessed it inglis fridge to match my dishwasher it's big but has freezer ontop so not thrilled, however it was here b/4 we even moved but is a classical design so doesn't look bad but it must be atleast 20 yrs old Exclamation

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 9:16 pm
option #1 is probably most common, doesn't nec mean most practical, though. I'm not experienced in this area, but what I do know is that when I saw my aunt's fridge -- she has the freezer on bottom -- she said it makes the most sense because you go in there less often, so less bending.

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 9:38 pm
I've used all three options and my vote goes easily for a bottom freezer model - most practical usage wise & most space. Just some of the freezers have a layout that the whole freezer pulls out - those are cramped, look for a big shelf and a big basket drawer.

Rivk

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 9:45 pm
I hate my fridge/ freezer. It's a side by side. Not much room on either side that is. Rolling Eyes But that's what came with our house, so I'm not complaining. If I ever got to choose my own fridge I'd get a top/ bottom model with plenty of freezer space. A stainless finish might sound nice but shows every smudge. And I heard that ice makers are germy and don't end up getting used so often. Good luck!

Henya

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 9:50 pm
I'm moving in a few weeks & also looking into buying a fridge. We're looking into the bottom freezer/top fridge. To me it seemed better if the whole freezer drawer pulled out versus the 1 shelf-1 basket freezer. Isn't it hard to see what you have in the freezer if it's all on a shelf? You'd have to empty out the shelf to see what's in the back?
We quickly decided on not having the side by side coz as Freilich said ,there's not that much room. The freezer looks tiny!
If our kitchen would be big enough, it would be nice to have a French door fridge. Wow! those fridges are so roomy!

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 10:20 pm
We have a small freezer on top and a fridge in the bottom, but I never found that it was big enough for anything much. I also have a chest freezer and a stand up freezer. I like to always have loads of emergency meals, just in case.....

chevymum

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 10:41 pm
I have a side by side (I actually have two) I have looked at some of the new styles that show the two doors opening up to a huge fridge section with a freezer draw at the bottom - but the freezer was just way too small.... it really depends on how you store your food... if you are a freezer hog like me - or only go grocery shopping once a week a side by side is going to give you the most room.

Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 5:10 am
I had all 3... now we have a fridge top, freezer bottom, and I think that's more convenient, as it's easier to see what's in there.
additionaly we have a large freezer, as we need always to stock up on kosher food!

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 9:20 am
I have freezer on top fridge on bottom I can't see myself every time I need something to keep bending down. this way they are both convienent to get to with no bending needed. our freezer is big enough with a shelf and well I just like it the best that way.

lucky

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 9:51 am
My dad loved the side by side, my mom wanted the freezer on top. So they redesigned the kitchen, to make place for both. Smile Smile

chen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 11:36 am
Freezer on top is most energy-efficient, side-by-side is least energy-efficient. Never heard of split-fridge, whazzat? with a side-by-side you can't fit big, wide items like a turkey or a pizza anywhere, unless you have a really huge commercial model.

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:56 pm
I grew up w/ a fridge top/freezer bottom (option 3). when that broke after many, many years, my mother insisted on the same model and b"H she got. I loved it- and I wasn't even the primary user!
now I have the typical apt. style - freezer top/fridge bottom, and I miss my mother's!
my m-i-l has a HUGE side by side- I mean the fridge side is about the size of a WHOLE top/bottom fridge/freezer. the freezer side isn't as big, but a little bigger than a normal side-by-side freezer. I'm sure it's pretty $$$, though. (also, it's not magnetic Sad )

queen

Post Fri, Nov 18 2005, 11:13 am
thank you all for your replies. From your responses I will look for a top fridge, bottom freezer. (shelf and basket)

Queen
good shabbos

IndyMom

Post Fri, Nov 18 2005, 4:04 pm
I just asked my husband this morning to get me a new fridge for chanuka. nowi have to start researching.

I was pretty dumb when we got engaged and I was fridge shopping. the salesman pointed to our fridge and said "this is a perfect choson and kallah fridge" so I got it. Now four and a half years and 3 kids later, I have no room for anything!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen