Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ever feel regret after giving a baby name
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 11:39 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
CAn you change it into a girls name? or at least a name that has some of the same letters? Not sure it that has any meaning but might make some people feel good.
Yosef- yosefa
moshe-Masha
Yona- yonina
eliyahu/Eliezer..- Elisheva
Dovid-Devorah
chaim- Chaya

etc..

Definitely don't give her a boys name even if it's to name after your mom.
Curious, why on earth does she have a boys name? And how was it for growing up? or even now, when she tells people her name how does it work. Hi My name is Shmuel?

I don’t want to give too many identifying details but she had a hard life growing up so name didn’t factor into it. Idk why she was given that name. People don’t comment obviously to her face but I’m sure they do comment afterwards. Feminizing the name isn’t a bad idea but does that take away from naming after someone?

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 7:34 pm
I know some said they have felt regret..for those who chose a name and then regretted it after and have come around to it (and grew to love it hopefully!) how did you do so? We were between 2 names and went with one and now (3.5 months later) I am sad we didn't use the other one. When I meet/hear of people with this name it comes to me all over again (why didn't we use that one etc. etc.)
I know we have so much to be grateful for, BH for a healthy adorable baby but hate that this is at the back of my head:(

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:40 am
Most Yiddish names have a Hebrew version. Can you translate the name and call him that?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 6:48 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
So I think about this often. BH it’s not something I need to deal with right now as my mother is bH alive and well but I do have lots of anxiety about what to do about naming after her when the time comes. She has a boys name, not like simcha that can be boy or girl, a real boys name. I can’t do that to a girl, but then what’s the solution? She shouldn’t have anyone named after her? It’s a huge problem

May we meet Moshiach now, and she'll live forever.
Was she named after her grandfather or another male?

Why not ask her about her name, its good to know whats behind it. Maybe she will be happy to share, ic you ask without judgment just from a knowledge standpoint.

Then if you give a son that name, he can say ye is named after the person ex great grandfather.

I heard from people that they wanted to name their child after a parent or grandparent but gave birth to the opposite gender so they just switched the name slightly to make it work. If that's the case, maybe, a boy can be name after her. May she have long and healthy life.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:19 pm
Absolutely. We had in mind to give name x , for an uncle- my FILs brother- after my son was born he told us not to and we chose another name. My son has endless problems and a part of me always thinks it’s some sort of hoogie boogie from the one whose name we did not choose

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 5:19 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I know some said they have felt regret..for those who chose a name and then regretted it after and have come around to it (and grew to love it hopefully!) how did you do so? We were between 2 names and went with one and now (3.5 months later) I am sad we didn't use the other one. When I meet/hear of people with this name it comes to me all over again (why didn't we use that one etc. etc.)
I know we have so much to be grateful for, BH for a healthy adorable baby but hate that this is at the back of my head:(

I'm the op, I ate myself up over the name, I developed PPD, I'm currently taking antidepressants and seeing a therapist, baby 5 mths, I'm slowly beginning to be ok with the name (I have a few kids, never been on meds or seen a therapist before, this thread me over the edge)

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 6:33 pm
amother Currant wrote:

My baby’s 1.5. I stopped thinking about my regret every day after around 7 months. I still have pangs of regret every now and then but it’s not top of mind.

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 3:31 pm
I gave my baby two names that sound awkward together in my ears but I love the meanings. I call him by a Nickname.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names