Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Has anyone gone to Davos Switzerland from US

NJmother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:58 pm
Has anyone traveled to Davos from America and organized it by themselves, not gone through the more expensive companies that organize it for you?
Looking for as much info as possible on generally what to expect there, what the frum presence is and how to connect to any Jewish community, how to manage logistics like food and lodging (especially with little kids!) please reply here or get in touch by PM, I would appreciate any advice…
Thank you in advance!

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:57 pm
When do you want to go and what kind of accommodations are you looking for?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:00 pm
Specifically Davos? Or open to other alps?

NJmother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:06 pm
Thanks for the replies! Yes, only interested in Davos itself.
When- I would really like to go in February. But am open to pushing it off until June if the winter is much too difficult.
Accommodations- flexible, as long as we are walkable/very close to whatever other frum presence there is (this time of year is that just the yeshiva?)
A kosher kitchen would be amazing but I assume that’s not an option- have any of you had that?
Would be happy to just rent an apartment (not Airbnb) if the landlord is reputable and is known as having a good track record with Jewish people. Just need to know the place will not cause any stress- just a pleasant non-gross place to stay, 2-3 bedrooms so it’s not terribly cramped for bringing little kids.
Any other info or advice from your experience is helpful. Thanks!

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:16 pm
The yeshiva is open (of course), but there's also a nice little kosher boutique hotel https://crestahotel.ch/. Minyanim won't be a problem. You can rent an apartment but it won't come with a kosher kitchen. Also, in the winter you won't have the assortment of kosher food that's available in the supermarket in the summer. Also, mid-February is a pretty expensive time to rent because schools are off for "sports holiday" and lots of people come to Davos to ski. But almost surely cheaper than a hotel. June is probably cheaper but also probably not much kosher food available.

I know of two rental agents who deal with apartments in Davos in the summer. Maybe they also do it in the winter. Otherwise, you can look for something on myswitzerland.com

NJmother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:27 pm
Thanks! Has anyone here stayed at Cresta in the last year or 2? Can you please tell me about it?
When you say minyanim won’t be a problem you mean at Cresta or in general in Davos bc of the yeshiva?
Re the rentals I assume that probably will end up making more sense budget wise. Would you mind sharing the info of the agents?
Thanks so much!

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 11:24 pm
I’ve been to Davos many times. I stayed in Cresta a few years ago. Not sure at this point if they are still open as a hotel (last summer they didn’t really take bookings and in the winter they were only open for 2 weeks.) The hotel is decent for Europeans but really not on an American standard. (Tiny rooms, tiny beds) An apt might be more practical although the food might be very difficult

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 11:26 pm
OP are you going for health or vacation?

NJmother

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 12:21 pm
Thanks for the information. Looking to go for health reasons... Does anyone know of any other specific places one can stay? And how did you deal with kosher food?

NJmother

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 12:23 pm
If you wouldn't mind PMing I would be happy to ask about it directly as well

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:36 pm
We were at the Cresta two years ago. AFAIK they're still open. The rooms aren't huge but they're nice. The food is great, although not as lavish as American hotels. But you get more than enough to eat.

There's a minyan at the hotel and if for some reason there isn't, there'll be one at the yeshiva.

I do agree that an apartment would be more convenient but you'll run into the kosher food question. You can buy fruits, vegetables, eggs, some pasta, some other things in the regular supermarkets and the local butcher will send up meat with the Post. You can do a shop at the kosher supermarkets before you go up (make a stop in Zurich on your way from the airport to Davos; inconvenient but necessary if you want milk, cheese, bread etc.)

One of the people who rents apartments is Ms. Schmitz - 011 41 79 611 14 18. If she can't help you I can find out the number of the other woman.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 4:08 pm
In the summer the groceries there have a kosher section with almost everything you may need. Winter there’s nothing. I would recommend you go on the summer as you can get kosher food and your kids will have more to do there.

sugarcookie

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 4:12 pm
OP I’m aconite you can pm me for more info
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics