Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Can a car that doesn't fit us make sense?
Previous  1  2

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 2:30 am
Having a car that requires frequent repairs is really more of a hassle than the convenience of having it.
I would hold off if I were you. When you do buy a car you want it to be reliable.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 2:34 am
We have 7 kids and have one 5-seater, which I need to commute to work. When we go on trips we rent an additional car and my husband and I each drive. Works great for us.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 5:06 am
amother OP wrote:
But 30k would get me a decent car, but not a decent van IIUC.

Buying an old van you spend 1000 a month (minimum) on in repairs in addition to gas and insurance is not financially worth it. Either get a smaller car that's in better condition or just don't buy anything

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 5:27 am
I live in Israel and I’d recommend buying it.
I didn’t see anyone mention this, but in cars in Israel where you can turn off the airbag in the front seat, it’s considered safe for a baby to sit rear facing in a car seat. If you need proof of this, I can try to find it for you. I know lots of families with 4 kids who are very functional with a 5 seater car because a parent can travel alone with all the kids. For family trips, you can rent another 5 seater car for the day.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 5:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Whatever we buy will be checked by a mechanic.

I don't have an extremely high budget. 30k is probably the most we could handle. This Honda is 15k without being bargained down.

My point, as I see others have made here, but I will repeat as it is very important, was that an older car may be cheaper to buy. But the wmount of money you would have to put in it monthly or very often, as it is pretty old, will add up to a lot over time.
Just think about that.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 5:43 am
We have more family members than seats. A few kids go ahead by public transportation. Sometimes we use a cab.
I have taken everyone by train while DH drove.
One kid goes to a friend/cousin/bubby instead
We budget for this during vacation.

love613

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 5:40 am
If you/ your spouse are on a student visa, you can get the student deal where you can buy a new car tax free. Being that tax is so high in Israel on cars, you end up getting a brand new car that fits a family for the same price as a second hand car. PM me if you want names of dealers who can help you.

Golde

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 6:16 am
We have a car that our family has grown out of, ie. we can't all fit in it at once. For us there's no question that it's worth it. The most important reason we have the car is transport to work for DH and I, and it's also very convenient for shopping. Yes obviously there are times where it would be good to fit everyone in the car, but that's
not worth the price of owning a bigger car/van.
For us it definitely makes sense having a car even if the whole family can't fit in it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:06 am
We have a saying that we "can't afford to buy used"- we bought our car new 16 years ago and its still in amazing amazing shape, never once regretted that initial larger payment because look how long its lasted. My friends who bought used cars are constantly putting money into the car. You can get a much better deal then this, please do your research!!! And just agreeing with everyone that 100% having a car even if not everyone can fit is a world of a difference and so useful.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions