Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO MO Day School Flatbush area or close by
Previous  1  2

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:51 pm
My cousin's girls go to Luria. I also have a friend who used to work in Luria. It is Montessori style. Definitely MO, certainly more so than Bruriah (where I went and it is more yeshivish). They definitely have Judaic studies. It is on the more modern side of MO, but there is a spectrum. It is worth looking into.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:06 pm
Barkai?

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:10 pm
Middle of the road mo are shulamith for girls and derech hatorah for boys unless they're sefardi. But realistically while the schools are hashkafically centrist mo, you have all types of families there. They will need to look into a boys hs and there are tons with busses to Brooklyn.

I'm interested in where they're holding because I might even recommend prospect and chofetz chaim if they liked bruriah and are willing to go up just a notch.

I know tons about the schools in Brooklyn and every one mentioned in this thread if you want to DM me.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:13 pm
Barkai, Magen David and YDE are for the Sephardic community
Flatbush has a mix, but it’s mostly Sephardic.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:50 pm
An interesting thing to note is that that there are no purely Ashkenaz boys or girls schools. They all take in Sephardic kids who apply. In mainstream yeshivas and by schools you’ll find Sephardic names on the class lists. The Syrian Flatbush schools are very selective. If your friends don’t have the right last name they don’t have much chance of getting in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 6:32 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Look into YDE, its a Magen vibe but separate and a tad more religious

https://www.ydeschool.org/

They are Syrian, but they don’t care to go Ashkenaz
YDE is too right wing
They are looking into Magen David and Flatbush. There might not be any room in the grades they need.
Beside those 2 are there any other MO day schools in the area?
Forget about the all girl factor.
They are looking for schools similar to
Magen David and Flatbush in Hashkafa

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 6:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
They are Syrian, but they don’t care to go Ashkenaz
YDE is too right wing
They are looking into Magen David and Flatbush. There might not be any room in the grades they need.
Beside those 2 are there any other MO day schools in the area?
Forget about the all girl factor.
They are looking for schools similar to
Magen David and Flatbush in Hashkafa

I wouldn’t say YDE is more right wing.. is there a reason she thinks that? Happens to be they separate the classes in the grade religion wise, this is an example of what I mean they put those that have mothers who cover their hair, and only wear skirts in one class and those that wear pants in another. There is Barkai also

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 6:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
No?
I always thought it was

Any way I guess something similar to FLATBUSH YESHIVA -

What they liked about Bruriah is that it’s only girls as opposed to FLATBUSH

But a BY type would be too much for them at the moment

When you say Flatbush yeshiva, do you mean yeshiva of Flatbush?

MyUsername

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:41 am
What about Ramaz?

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 6:02 am
MO separate gender for Ashkenaz family:

Boys: Derech HaTorah
Girls: Shulamith

Derech HaTorah is in Flatbush
Shulamith is in Manhatten Beach

You said they are moving there with two girls so Shulamith sounds like the a fit.

Should be a fit for a family on the spectrum that you described but who want to grow.

A school with a HS for a family as you described is not necessarily a benefit.

When it comes to HS they will make a choice as to which school fits at that time. And move in from there.

(Btw, I do not understand why so many keep suggesting Magen David, YDE and Flatbush. Magen is Sefard only, YDE is Sefard only (and might be too ‘right’ for them at this point in any case) and Flatbush while not “officially” Sefard only, is at this point for all intents and purposes. It originally had been MO fifty yrs ago but the demographics changed and now is Sefard in all ways but in their charter. These are not choices for an Ashkenaz family at all).

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:07 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
MO separate gender for Ashkenaz family:

Boys: Derech HaTorah
Girls: Shulamith

Derech HaTorah is in Flatbush
Shulamith is in Manhatten Beach

You said they are moving there with two girls so Shulamith sounds like the a fit.

Should be a fit for a family on the spectrum that you described but who want to grow.

A school with a HS for a family as you described is not necessarily a benefit.

When it comes to HS they will make a choice as to which school fits at that time. And move in from there.

(Btw, I do not understand why so many keep suggesting Magen David, YDE and Flatbush. Magen is Sefard only, YDE is Sefard only (and might be too ‘right’ for them at this point in any case) and Flatbush while not “officially” Sefard only, is at this point for all intents and purposes. It originally had been MO fifty yrs ago but the demographics changed and now is Sefard in all ways but in their charter. These are not choices for an Ashkenaz family at all).

Op said they are Syrian.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:09 am
Bruriah was a RWMO school back in the day. I went there and it was never considered a BY school. Can’t say for sure what it is now.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics