Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to put away kids clothes?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:19 am
So that dh can easily dress my kids with matching clothes. Yesterday he put dd2yo in a longer shirt and tights assuming it was a dress. Honey, if you can see her tights waistband while she's standing, it's not a dress. What's your method? He doesn't always get kids dressed but when he does I need it to be functional.

TIA!!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:21 am
I prepare it the night before. But if you can’t put it away as sets.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:23 am
I would hang up skirts and dresses so he knows if its on a hanger its a dress and if its in a drawer its a shirt.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:24 am
mha3484 wrote:
I would hang up skirts and dresses so he knows if its on a hanger its a dress and if its in a drawer its a shirt.

That's what I do.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:26 am
And I once put my then baby in what I thought was a cute terry cloth dress someone had given us as a gift and when my husband looked at it he was like I think that's a bathrobe. So its not just husbands.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:28 am
mha3484 wrote:

Matching tops and bottoms and tights are a challenge. Only dresses and white tights are a safe option but then he doesn't know what's shabbos.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:28 am
I lay everything out the night before. Even for my kid in uniform. Undies, undershirt, hair accessory. Leave no room for error

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:42 am
My husband would not be able to pick out clothes. But I do dream about labeling each shelf in their closet as "chaim shirts" "chaim pants" "Sara tops" "sara skirts"

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:01 pm
I hang up dresses with tights on the same hanger. Or fold clothes as a set. Skirt or leggings & top.
Or prepare the night before.

Malkqueen

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 1:36 pm
If you have hanging space, put outfits on a hanger. Dress + tights or skirt + top + tights

If you have drawer space, fold sets together. Always lead with a top, so if it's a dress then it's just a dress, but if it's a top + bottom then the top should be on top of the skirt. This way, if he ever sees a skirt/pants, he know he hasn't finished taking the outfit out yet. You can get bins or use shoeboxes to divide tights by Shabbos/weekday, or by color.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 1:47 pm
I prepare the clothes either the night before or in the morning. I do hang dresses and skirts/tops go in the drawer. But dh will struggle to put things together. So it's just easier to get it ready for him.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:07 pm
I usually just buy dresses. Even for when I dress her it's easier that way (I can just grab a dress in the morning, not have to look for a matching skirt to the shirt). As for shabbos stuff that is always kept separately so no mixing that up. Tights are mostly black which match everything....

Eta my dd is a bit older.... At 2 she didn't always wear dresses. I bought a bunch of black leggings which could be put with any top so no matching....

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:28 pm
You can put the folded pants tucked inside the folded shirt so when he takes it out it's already a paired unit

amf

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:41 pm
For my 2yo dd: all socks are black and all leggings are black, except for 1 or 2 outfits that I fold with the leggings inside the sweater. DD picks a sweater from the stack in her drawer and it gets paired with black legging if there's no pair folded inside

She does have a couple dresses. I keep them in a separate pile in her drawer or hanging

For the summer, I got her only dresses. The couple jumpers she has have their top hanging on the hanger together

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:06 pm
All of the above is good advice, to be sure, but--she's 2. Does it REALLY matter what she wears, so long as she's properly protected from the elements?

Some people would say that by age two she should be encouraged to have a say in selecting her own clothes, even if she does choose to wear a plaid flannel shirt with a filmy ballerina tutu and mountain-climber socks.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 5:04 pm
We always prep clothing the night before to make mornings go more smoothly, even for the kids who dress themselves. That way there's no last minute searching for anything.

I once left DH with the kids for just under a week so I could join my family of origin in Israel for a close relative's yartzheit/hakamas matzeiva. I left complete outfits for the younger kids laid out in our guest room and showed our oldest daughter what went together so she could help put the outfits together again after DH did the laundry. I knew DH would be able to manage with everything else except matching up outfits.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 5:24 pm
I keep outfits together. I fold the pants inside the top
I do the same for pajamas
I file fold, so everything is always neat and organized
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry