Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How can I write this respectfully

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:50 am
I spoke to my rav earlier this week about a questionable HT. I also had a yeast infection so he said he would speak to my bodekes and get back to me. Haven't heard back from him yet. I'd like to send him a message questioning what the end is. How do I write a message to him along the lines of "hey, still waiting to hear back from you" in a respectful way?

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:52 am
Hi just checking in to see if there any updates

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:53 am
A gutten erev shabbos, I am following up to see if the rav had a chance to speak to the bodekes on my behalf.

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 7:58 am
"I just wanted to please try checking in. Would it be possible for the rav to call when he is able?" With contact info in every message.

My rav actually encourages to keep trying because he receives so many calls. In this type of highly time-sensitive matter, I think being (relatively) persistent is appropriate so long as it's along with being polite, super respectful & with appreciation

You noted "earlier this week", so has been 2 or 3 days? In this circumstance, I personally would be checking in daily.

Maybe other communities run differently & I'm just fortunate, but whenever I've gone to the badekes in my community (maybe half a dozen to a dozen times over the years) she always called the rav immediately while I was there to let him know what she discerned, & I was expected to call him that day or night, & I don't think I ever received an answer later than the next day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 8:16 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
"I just wanted to please try checking in. Would it be possible for the rav to call when he is able?" With contact info in every message.

My rav actually encourages to keep trying because he receives so many calls. In this type of highly time-sensitive matter, I think being (relatively) persistent is appropriate so long as it's along with being polite, super respectful & with appreciation

You noted "earlier this week", so has been 2 or 3 days? In this circumstance, I personally would be checking in daily.

Maybe other communities run differently & I'm just fortunate, but whenever I've gone to the badekes in my community (maybe half a dozen to a dozen times over the years) she always called the rav immediately while I was there to let him know what she discerned, & I was expected to call him that day or night, & I don't think I ever received an answer later than the next day.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

So I've never had such a situation. Usually, I drop shalos in his mailbox and I get a response withing a few hours. And whenever I call, he answers. But he said he'd call me back, so I didn't want to nudge.

I told my husband I'm not going to call him , but at the end of the day I'm only hurting myself.

happy7

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 9:33 am
You should definitely call the rav.
You are very important and your shailah is very important, but the rav mah have had a busy week, or forgotten about it, NOT bec he doesn’t care, but bec he had many pressing issues this week.

WonderIma

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:29 am
If texting is an option, I would send a simple "I am just following up to see if the Rav heard back from the Bodekes yet." This way you can remind him without it sounding like you are blaming him for not getting back to you yet. You should preferably send it sooner than later so that if he did drop the ball, he can still get in touch with the bodekes and follow up with you before shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 11:51 am
WonderIma wrote:
If texting is an option, I would send a simple "I am just following up to see if the Rav heard back from the Bodekes yet." This way you can remind him without it sounding like you are blaming him for not getting back to you yet. You should preferably send it sooner than later so that if he did drop the ball, he can still get in touch with the bodekes and follow up with you before shabbos.

I Whatsapp'ed him some time before 10 this morning. Still waiting....

I'm actually a little concerned, because it's so not like him not to respond.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette