Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/o giving hot cocoa only when shoveling snow
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:39 pm
watergirl wrote:
A friend of mine was from a crunchy family back in the 80s and 90s before it was a thing, back when health food stores had a really bad odor... and she became a bit of a social pariah because her hand was in everyone's chips and cookies at lunch.

Everything in moderation, even junk nosh. The kids will find a way to get it and it won't always make them look good.

The thing is, it isn't in moderation if they're getting junk nosh from school, have treats on shabbos and from various different programs, and on top of that there is sugar added to their regular diet. My approach is to keep daily meals and snacks healthy and low sugar, so they can be free with the treats at times when it matters and not feel left out. The kids don't need sugar in their drinks or meatball sauce or whatever, and when they come home with a can of drink or package of chamtzutzim or whatever, they know they can enjoy that too.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:41 pm
At our house, hot chocolate is a special treat for once or twice a week. We have other junk and candy.

I don't like hot chocolate because the kids often drink part of it and then forget about the rest. Also if someone spills it, it is sticky and gross. If I could give it only to kids ages 8 and up, it would be much better, but of course the younger ones would flip out if I did that.

BaltoMom65

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is the balance between overindulging, vs. treating well, vs spoiling?
I like to give my kids a hot drink every morning in the winter. I make one for myself and I make one for them . We all drink together. I cant even imagine only doing that once/twice a year.
Will my kids be more spoiled/entitled?
This is very sweet, you're creating wonderful memories

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:31 pm
I made hot cocoa today with goat milk, organic cacao powder, cardamom, and raw honey. Quite healthy.

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:34 pm
One of my children had many allergies and for more than a year their steady breakfast was hot coco that ended up having a full cup of their milk substitute. I looked at it as a smoothie with some sugar. Kid is old enough to make their hot coco on their own and has moved onto other breakfast options.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:51 pm
I have a hot coffee every morning; Of course I’ll make my kids a hot cocoa if they ask for it. Lately it’s been every morning and it’s a great way to warm up this cold winter. It didn’t dawn on me that this falls into the “special treat” category. Yikes, we might be a bit spoiled!

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:52 pm
Oh, and I use hot cocoa mix- 1-2 heaping plastic spoons per 7oz foam cup. I use to-go cups because the kids often take the drinks to the bus stop.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics