Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I want to be better!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:59 am
Hi! I’m a pretty good mom I think. 1 toddler
. Would love to be an even better mom.
Any tips?
I see some moms on here are so experienced and seem like such good moms!

dena613

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:05 am
Talk a lot to your toddler, even if it's just about what you're doing, like cooking or laundry.

Spend time reading books and pointing out colors, pictures, letters, vocabulary.

Give lots of hugs and laughter. Make him or her feel like s/he is your greatest pleasure.

Turn on music and sing and dance.

Enjoy those years! Take lots of videos!!!

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:08 am
It would be better to ask specific questions so that you get useful answers, not a hodgepodge of advice that you may not need and tips you already follow.

There are countless parenting books out there for you to read, but also trust yourself. If you are skeptical about or outright disagree with a parenting philosophy, don't follow it. Just because it's in a book or touted by a well-known "authority" doesn't mean it's right, or right for you.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:12 am
Above all, don't let perfect be the enemy of good. IOW don't try to be the perfect parent and don't agonize over everything you do that's less than A+. Good enough really is just fine.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:29 am
I find when I talk to my 2 year old in a normal voice; about anything! she really appreciates it!
I'll ask her about her day and tell her something that happened during my day.
Her eyes get all wide and she listens so intently. Then she will go on a whole rant herself, mostly babbling but as if she is part of the conversation.
It's adorable.

Lovable

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:34 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I find when I talk to my 2 year old in a normal voice; about anything! she really appreciates it!
I'll ask her about her day and tell her something that happened during my day.
Her eyes get all wide and she listens so intently. Then she will go on a whole rant herself, mostly babbling but as if she is part of the conversation.
It's adorable.

I do this too but never thought about sharing something of my day
Love it!
I will be doing this from now on Smile thank you

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:50 am
Lovable wrote:
I do this too but never thought about sharing something of my day
Love it!
I will be doing this from now on Smile thank you

I actually read that somewhere and I tried it with some of my little ones and they loved it!
It makes them feel special that you are sharing your life with them.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:05 pm
It's wonderful to be an involved parent, to speak with your toddler and play with your toddler. Just know that it's also okay, and even healthy, for your toddler to play by herself, wander around the house picking up random toys for seemingly no reason, or do pretty much anything else. You don't need to be stimulating your toddler all day long, and it's actually good for her to learn to entertain herself.

When she cries, don't rush to make it all better. Of course you can offer a hug or a cuddle, you can talk about how she feels ("You are so frustrated! Your tower keeps on falling down!"), but you don't need to stop the crying. Crying is just her way of saying "I'm so frustrated!" or whatever. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong, and letting her calm down without trying to "fix" it actually helps her regulate her emotions down the line.

Similarly, don't be afraid to say "no." Sure, think about whether it's important to you before picking that battle, and if it's not a big deal, go ahead and say yes. But saying no is okay too, even if your toddler won't understand why, will think you're unfair, will kick and scream and tantrum. You are a good mother. You said no. Your toddler is upset. And you are still a good mother.

Let her "help" you often. She wants to sweep the floor? Let her shlep your broom around (you can even buy a child-sized one for cheap). Let her clean up with you by dumping thing into a box. Give her a wet paper towel to "wash" the walls or the floor or a chair while you wipe down the kitchen table. Yeah, it will all take much longer than if she wasn't helping, but that's not the point. Tell her how great it is that she loves helping, it's a big mitzvah, wow...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics