Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
One request I have.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:26 am
I’m asking for me, my husband and kids and everyone whose not going on vacation now. Yes I get it. You’re taking a vacation bc you need it. Fine. But please don’t flaunt all about it when you come back and just tell all about it. I am not interested in hearing about your vacation and all how hot it was and how cool it was ,and all the food you ate and all the shopping you did, and how cool it was to get away. Many ppl and I aren’t interested in hearing all about it. Trust me, I know you’re going to say so go on vacation. Believe me, you don’t know me, my husband and kids. It’s not that I’m not interested. We BhBh can’t get away now. I’m not pregnant/ so don’t think I am. We just can’t. There vent over. Of you want you can call me a sourpuss- I dont care. I just needed to get this out there. Am I right or wrong? I’d love to know your take.

scruffy

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:31 am
I'm not going away and I love to hear about other's vacations!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:39 am
I don't mind hearing about the vacation but I hate hearing the complaints.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:45 am
I’d like a middle ground. I don’t like when people hide their vacations from me. I agree no complaining please.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:54 am
Op, do people who go on exotic vacations really rub it in your face? I go on nice vacations and I would never talk about it with someone who didn't go. My kids post pictures on social media but I'm not going to bother with that.

Is it possible you're being overly sensitive about it?

I mean, if you see a casual friend in shul this shabbos and you ask her how are things? If she says "lots of packing to do. We're leaving tomorrow for a week". Is that called rubbing it in your face? Are you expecting total silence about this?

safetynet1

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:56 am
I love hearing about others vacations too. I dont even mind hearing the downsides they had while vacationing.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 11:59 am
Purple- yes they do go on lavish vacations and flaunt it. Yes I could be overly sensitive about it. From my circle of friends three of them are going. And they know not to flaunt and try not to. But still it hurts. One of them her husband and my husband are best friends and I knowit hurts him too. The same with the kids. They tell about it like the weather.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 9:42 pm
scruffy wrote:
I'm not going away and I love to hear about other's vacations!

Me too!
Its like living through them vicariously!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:49 pm
I'm so happy we didn't make any plans this year because everyone in my house is sick. Hopefully we'll have at least a couple of good days later in the week to do an outing or two.

It's natural for people to come home from vacation and share their experiences. I don't mind that at all, but I hope the kids who went away don't tease the kids who stayed home. That's just not nice. This year, especially, I also hope people don't flaunt their happy vacation pictures on social media when so many of our brothers and sisters are suffering.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:05 pm
We were the family who never went away. I didn’t really mind so much but as my kids got older it became hard for them and they started to feel sorry for themselves. That was hard for me. Knowing that it was difficult for my kids was hard. No matter what I would do with them over vacation couldn’t match packing up a suitcase and flying somewhere.
Last year we decided we’ll look into flying somewhere close. We found tickets for $20! And then we were able to rent an Airbnb for 2 nights using credit cards points. We ended up spending less on our trip than had we stayed home. I always justified spending on ice cream, pizza, bowling etc because they were home and not doing anything but it really all added up to a significant amount after a few days.
This year we are doing the same thing as last year. And I feel guilty. I know people will feel jealous. Honestly I just want to stay home. I told my kids they can’t tell anyone. You won’t hear about a getaway from us because we aren’t telling anyone and you won’t even realize we’re gone for 2 days. If you do end up finding out, you should know 2 things.
1- we were on the other side of the coin for probably longer than you are so we know what it feels like to be the ones at home and we don’t want you to feel envious of us.
2- our trip is costing us very little money.

Your family can have a wonderful time at home if you plan a little in advance. Packing up and going away is not the only way to make a family happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics