Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Budget - how much makes sense
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Outerspace

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 2:19 pm
lostmyoldSN wrote:
Good advice but you need space for that which I'm guessing she doesn't have.

true. for a couple, stocking up is a bag of rice, a bag of quinoa, a few cans, basic ingredients... its not that much stuff...
I live in a small apartment with a few kids...

once a week, works also. the point is not to go shopping for supper ingredients, but to use what you have. I meal plan once a week (when im very organized once a month)
it also makes it much easier when your working... you dont need the extra brainspace to think of whats for dinner

amother
Maple

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 2:33 pm
a2z wrote:
She says later that she was stocking up because they just moved in

I don’t think it cost me 5,000 shekels to set up my kitchen!
You don’t need to every sauce and condiment in the store!

Even in her later post the amount she’s spending sounds over the top.
But if she can afford it, good for her!

A package of chop meat is usually one kilo- that’s over 2 lbs and to only get 3 portions out of that? I can feed my whole family with one kilo- stretch the meat. even when I make meatballs which is just chop meat I can still easily feed 6 with that ( 2 pple in my family don’t like meatballs).

Going out to eat? Take out? Those are not budget Friendly choices. Never mind more than once a week!
And she’s been eating out for Shabbos!

Try oatmeal for breakfast- it’s cheaper than yogurt. Or buy a plain yogurt and add fruit or honey.
Don’t focus your meals exclusively on the protein. Add ( cheaper filling) sides
I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Maybe (obviously ) I just live differently

Good for her for trying though

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 2:44 pm
amother Maple wrote:
I don’t think it cost me 5,000 shekels to set up my kitchen!
You don’t need to every sauce and condiment in the store!

Even in her later post the amount she’s spending sounds over the top.
But if she can afford it, good for her!

A package of chop meat is usually one kilo- that’s over 2 lbs and to only get 3 portions out of that? I can feed my whole family with one kilo- stretch the meat. even when I make meatballs which is just chop meat I can still easily feed 6 with that ( 2 pple in my family don’t like meatballs).

Going out to eat? Take out? Those are not budget Friendly choices. Never mind more than once a week!
And she’s been eating out for Shabbos!

Try oatmeal for breakfast- it’s cheaper than yogurt. Or buy a plain yogurt and add fruit or honey.
Don’t focus your meals exclusively on the protein. Add ( cheaper filling) sides
I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Maybe (obviously ) I just live differently

Good for her for trying though

I'm guessing she has the money. She said it's a choice of the food or a bigger place iirc.

When I was a newlywed, we often lived on around 4700 shekel. Included rent of 2000 and another 350 for utilities/arnona (illegal place). 11 years ago.

I used to buy that day's supper usually at the makolet. Iirc we ate a lot of veges and not tons of protein though. My husband isn't into carbs. He wasn't then or now.

lostmyoldSN

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 2:46 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
true. for a couple, stocking up is a bag of rice, a bag of quinoa, a few cans, basic ingredients... its not that much stuff...
I live in a small apartment with a few kids...

once a week, works also. the point is not to go shopping for supper ingredients, but to use what you have. I meal plan once a week (when im very organized once a month)
it also makes it much easier when your working... you dont need the extra brainspace to think of whats for dinner

Ya I guess I was thinking of my version of a month of food. Which is tons...

lostmyoldSN

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 2:48 pm
Personally right now I'm splurging on food and saving on rent. It's priorities. Ideally, I'd save on both but one reason I save on rent is so that I can splurge on food that makes my life easier.

ganmama

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:28 am
amother OP wrote:
How much do you pay for monthly expenses aside from rent/mortgage?
!

We are also living in JLM.
It’s just the two of us. I am working and DH is in Kolel.

We spend 4800 on rent, plus about 100 in arnona (we had my Olah chadasha discount last year. I think it will be closer to 500 a month this year).
Our vaad bayis is 360/month in a building that provides heating int the winter and has an elevator.
Our bill are charged every other month and we spend about 350 for electric, 60 for gas, 100 for water.
Between me and DH we pay 160 for phone plans. And we have internet (for my tutoring) that is about 100 a month.

We are vegetarian, but buy meat/fish when we have Shabbos guests, which we’ve don’t maybe every other month (and I think costs us about 150-200 more than we would otherwise spend). On average we spend about 1500-2000 on groceries. I eat yogurt for breakfast most days. But we eat mostly veggies/rice/legumes. And a lot of eggs (which are not so cheap)

Plus, maybe another 400 eating out (this comes out to about once a week at cheaper milchig places).

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:19 pm
Sounds like you really figured it out! Gfu!
I was in a similar situation until sukkos (cooking for 2 in jlm). Here’s some thoughts:

1- the American company products are pushing your budget higher. Although it sounds silly, the one thing I brought in from the USA was cereal. Or ask s/o whose coming to bring 1 or 2 boxes.

2- as someone else mentioned, mishnat yosef will save you a lot. Ask a neighbor how to sign up. You can choose what you want to order online and then pickup in your neighborhood later in the week. Not everything will work for you because it’s catered for larger families. Whatever I did get, I saved a lot on.

3- get used to Israeli style dips. we would get 1 American dip and one or two Israeli ones (chummus, matbucha). You can also get the really tiny dips in many groceries.

4- salmon is considered a luxury in israel. Being that it’s for shabbos, I think it’s ok. Try to stretch it by cubing it over a salad or pasta. For sure buy frozen. I don’t know what hashgachos you eat but rabanim many times say you can be more meikel on salmon- which would be a LOT cheaper.

5- I think takeout is more of a necessity living in israel far from family (I’m ready for the flack I’ll get on this one). You’re newly married, getting used to cooking, it makes sense that you need a break here and there. Don’t feel guilty and just be conscious of what your spending. Falafel is great. Sometimes I would pick up the little pizzas that the bakeries sell or fresh rolls. There’s ways to get the ready made food without spending $$$$.

6- always make a menu in the beginning of the week and shop with a list!!! Especially when your starting out and don’t know prices. Take the receipt home and review it just to get a better feel of what normal prices are. You’ll discover that random items are way more than you would think and others are actually cheap

Good luck! Sounds like you’re already doing great!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics