Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is it unethical to work 2 jobs at once?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 2:51 pm
I work from home for 2 companies. There are enough hours in the day for both of my jobs but there are times that the work overlaps and I am switching between 2 companies. I am getting the work done for both places but wondering if there is anything wrong with doing this?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 2:54 pm
If you are billing both for being on call at the same time then yes it’s unethical. If it’s 2 jobs you can perform at 100% simultaneously then I think it’s ok as long as you keep track of your exact minutes for each job.

agreer

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:11 pm
If your hourly, the overlaps are problematic from an Emes standpoint... you don't want to do gezeila, and unless your scrupulous with your time tracking, it's hard to manage.

If you're salaried, and you're getting the jobs done, it's fine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:17 pm
One is salaried and one is hourly.
They are jobs that depend on the workflow which changes from day to day.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
One is salaried and one is hourly.
They are jobs that depend on the workflow which changes from day to day.

If you get paid hourly, then you cannot do work for a different company during the hours you're working at the hourly job.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:32 pm
So long as you are very careful with your billing and you get your work done on time for both should be fine.

I’ve done this in the past, I just couldn’t keep up both properly and ended up giving up one

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:33 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
If you get paid hourly, then you cannot do work for a different company during the hours you're working at the hourly job.

Is this the case even if there's nothing to do for the hourly job, and the other work is instead of browsing the internet?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:34 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
So long as you are very careful with your billing and you get your work done on time for both should be fine.

I’ve done this in the past, I just couldn’t keep up both properly and ended up giving up one

what do you mean by 'careful with billing'?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:39 pm
Also curious if the companies know that I'm working at 2 places- and if they are ok with this- does it change anything?

Highstrung

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:39 pm
My company has a rule in the employee handbook that if you have another job you can’t let it interfere with this job. Meaning this job needs to be prioritized . I had two jobs when I started , but I was feeling tired and drained because of the second job and that was compromising this job because I wasn’t “in it completely “, so I had to give up my second job so that this job wasn’t being compromised at all and I had the full focus on this one .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:40 pm
Highstrung wrote:
My company has a rule in the employee handbook that if you have another job you can’t let it interfere with this job. Meaning this job needs to be prioritized . I had two jobs when I started , but I was feeling tired and drained because of the second job and that was compromising this job because I wasn’t “in it completely “, so I had to give up my second job so that this job wasn’t being compromised at all and I had the full focus on this one .

I hear that and I do wonder how long this arrangement would last.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also curious if the companies know that I'm working at 2 places- and if they are ok with this- does it change anything?

Yes. If they know you’re working on the other job during your working hours for their job and they’re ok with it, how could that be a problem?

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
what do you mean by 'careful with billing'?

For example if you got distracted with the second job while working on the first job you deduct time, and if you started and stopped a project because of the other job and then had to start again you deduct time. Etc

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I work from home for 2 companies. There are enough hours in the day for both of my jobs but there are times that the work overlaps and I am switching between 2 companies. I am getting the work done for both places but wondering if there is anything wrong with doing this?

I do that - I work for a regular job and then work after hours. Both bosses know name and hours of the other job. It works out since I gain skills from each job that benefit the other.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hear that and I do wonder how long this arrangement would last.

Are you a boss or employee? Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:54 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Are you a boss or employee? Smile

employee.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:55 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
For example if you got distracted with the second job while working on the first job you deduct time, and if you started and stopped a project because of the other job and then had to start again you deduct time. Etc

But both jobs have slow times so as I said, it's instead of browsing the internet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics