Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How can I maximize space?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:43 pm
I am IYH making my first bar mitzvah in a few months and the Friday night meal will be in my house.
I don't know yet an exact number of guests but I want to see how many I can actually fit.

My room is about 15' wide x 25'. I cannot use every inch because there are 2 doorways that need clearance.

-How do I figure how many tables can fit in the space?
-Is it better space efficiency wise to have tables attached or tables separated?
- space wise, what is better rectangle or round tables?
Financially, rectangle is easier I think because I have tableclothes and enough tables but if it's much nicer and fits more I would go round.

Thanks ladies.

happy7

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:48 pm
How many people are you trying to fit in?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:37 pm
happy7 wrote:
How many people are you trying to fit in?

Depending on how many can fit that's how many I will invite. I must fit 40. If I can fit 60-70 that would be amazing.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 2:52 pm
Rectangle will probably give more space than round tables. You can definitely fit 40 people, it depends on how squashed you want to make things as to how many people you can fit in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:41 pm
I know I can fit 40 because we had that for our purim seuda. I'm trying to fit more than 40 and I'm wondering how to set up up for the most people. Rectangles or circles? If it's rectangles touching or separated?
How much space is needed for a round table?

sub

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:18 pm
I plugged your question into google and came up with this calculation site

So you would need almost double the space you have.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:31 pm
Where are the doorways?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:35 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Where are the doorways?

Both doorways are regular door sized. One is against the long wall but about 6' from the end. The second is against the back wall 10' in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:36 pm
sub wrote:
I plugged your question into google and came up with this calculation site

So you would need almost double the space you have.

I saw these numbers but this is not for at home Jewish events, this is for a conference or banquet hall. I expect it to be somewhat squishy.

sub

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:59 pm
You say you recently had 40. Did you have any room to move around the tables? Do you have pictures to help you visualize how it would look with more ppl? Can you put some guest in another room next to this one? Remember that it’s not only seating- ppl will want or need to move around. You need room for waiters to serve.
In any case rectangular narrow sukka tables allow for the most seating. Put them in a square with a small opening in middle. Round tables take up more floor space.
We had a family sheva brachos where once you sat down you were stuck. You could not get up for anything. It was uncomfortable and did not add to the simcha. ( I stayed in the hallway as it was too claustrophobic).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:06 pm
sub wrote:
You say you recently had 40. Did you have any room to move around the tables? Do you have pictures to help you visualize how it would look with more ppl? Can you put some guest in another room next to this one? Remember that it’s not only seating- ppl will want or need to move around. You need room for waiters to serve.
In any case rectangular narrow sukka tables allow for the most seating. Put them in a square with a small opening in middle. Round tables take up more floor space.
We had a family sheva brachos where once you sat down you were stuck. You could not get up for anything. It was uncomfortable and did not add to the simcha. ( I stayed in the hallway as it was too claustrophobic).

Thank you so much for these ideas. I appreciate it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:08 pm
sub wrote:

What are narrow sukkah tables (dimensions?)?
What do you mean by a square with an opening. Is the opening to let people in to sit inside?

sub

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:38 pm
Sukka/ shul tables are 12 or 18 inch as opposed to 24 inch.
Take masking/ painters tape and put it on floor to help you see where and how tables and chairs will fit. Also a buffet table if you need for cutlery and dessert/ salads. Figure you need about 15 inch chair space per person at table. Rent smaller chairs.

But I still think you wont get more than 50 comfortably.

effess

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 7:05 pm
I have a similar size room
You cannot get more than 50 very squished in that space. Even theater style won’t get you much more.
Last Sheva brachos was two long rows with one head table. That’s 47 very very tight.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 7:17 pm
My room is 17*24 but has 3 doorways that need clearance and you need to be able to walk across the middle of the room. I can fit 4 8' folding tables in a rectangle but not connected. This allows for seating but also access to the doorways and for through traffic. Depending on your doorway locations you may be able to fit more
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics