Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why do people eat pineapple, etc. on Tu B’Shevat?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:38 am
amother Tomato wrote:
It's a machloket of course.

It might be but then it would be odd that no one in the U.S. answers that they’re ha’eitz when there are so many different types of communities there.
It seems you’re agreeing חמוציות are cranberries.
They grow in a bog, very low to the ground. That would seem to make them ha’adama. Everyone says ha’adama on strawberries too because even though the plant can live for many years it doesn’t grow tall. There’s a specific height needed in halacha to call a plant an eitz.
Are you in Israel? What bracha do you make on תותים?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:53 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Peanuts and hazelnuts don't grow on trees olives grow on trees and I've never seen anyone eat them davka on tu bshvat....

So fascinating

Maybe different opinions, but according to OU website:

"The Bracha Rishona on Hazelnut is Borei Pri Haetz, and the Bracha Acharona is Borei Nefashos.
Source:
OU Kosher"

Thank you to whomever mentioned cranberries bracha, again maybe different opinions but also acc. to ou its adama & I've been mistakenly making haeitz for as long as I can remember.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:06 am
From a quick Google search in English, and another one in Hebrew, it does seem that the predominant opinion in the US is to make a haadama on cranberries, and the predominant opinion in Israel is haetz.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note