Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What would be theordically right/ethical in this case

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 11:54 am
Basically I ordered online from a jewish store multiple items which came out to a total of 66.05. Their policy is free shipping over 65 dollars and shipping can take 1-3 weeks otherwise its shipping for a flat rate of 5 dollars. One of the items I put in the cart was temporarily out of stock which cost 16 dollars but I really hoped they would get it later so I included it there. Anyways I kind of forgot for two weeks how much I had paid etc.. and was hoping for the item to ship. Yesterday I looked at my c/c charges and saw a charge of 55 dollars which I had not understood what had happened as I looked at my order and remember buyinh 66 dollars... It later came to me that what happened was that the item was probably out of stock and they went back to 50 dollars and then charged 5 dollars... It was a bit disturbing because I did not get any email notification on it etc but it's really fine as 5 dollars is just 5 dollars so I really dont care and am moving on.

Was just asking theoridically in such cases is it ethical to charge someone for shipping without letting them know in advance due to items not being in stock etc... What if this was an amazon purchase you had done or any other purchase where shipping would have been high... Is it on the sellers responsibility or buyers responsibility.

(please dont turn this into an accusation thread as I said before I am more than happy to move on in life and pay the 5 dollars as it's only 5 dollars , but I am asking this as in general , when people pay for a package and then the seller doesnt give the whole package and decides to charge individually etc... )

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 11:58 am
Yes I think it’s ethical being that it said out of stock when you added it to your cart

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 11:59 am
When you check out, that total should stay the total and not get higher unless they have a clearly stated policy on that page.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:03 pm
Are you sure the five dollars wasn't added when you checked out? It's weird that a system would include something that was out of stock in the final tally.

Anyway, it sounds like they were open on all fronts- how much shipping cost, the price point required for free shipping, and that the product you wanted wasn't available so your purchase wouldn't qualify for free shipping. If a customer makes a purchase knowing all those factors, it's reasonable to assume that they're intending to pay the shipping fee.

Comptroller

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:06 pm
Yes, it is ethical, except if you were ready to wait for the whole package until the object that is out of stock arrived.
Otherwise, I think your order should be treated as two orders with separate shipping, both under 65, so you would have to pay two shipping fees...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:07 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Yes I think it’s ethical being that it said out of stock when you added it to your cart
ok no problem. It's just that lets say with amazon it wont give an option to even check out with that item. here it did.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
When you check out, that total should stay the total and not get higher unless they have a clearly stated policy on that page.
the total on the checkout reciept says 66 dollars free shipping (0.00 dollars shipping)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
ok no problem. It's just that lets say with amazon it wont give an option to even check out with that item. here it did.

Yeah it’s weird that they let you check out with an out of stock item. I’d say the glitch is there.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:15 pm
Small businesses oftentimes don't have as sophisticated systems so I would say it was on you to clarify with them how they handle out of stock items. You can't compare to Amazon.

I've had several times where I was notified after placing the order that an item is out of stock & then was not charged for shipping. I think it's different when you knew the item is not available.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:17 pm
I think their website should not allow out of stock items to be added to the cart.

That being said, it was clear the item was out of stock, you were aware of the policies. It was fair to charge what they did. And email would have been nice.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:21 pm
I’m amazed it let you check out with the out of stock option. I don’t even know what to think.

If you want to feel less frustrating I will share that I bought outfits from a frum website and it was all non-returnable but 1/2 my outfit(s) were out of stock -which I was notified in an email 3 days later. So I have skirts without tops and tops without skirts. If the website was up to date I would have ordered a different size or left the unmatched piece-but now they are telling me it is not returnable. (And the website still says it is available in that color and size but not a different size or the other color). If I would order in a different size and they actually have it, they told me I need to pay shipping again and wouldn’t waive as a courtesy.
Never will I order on line from them again.

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I’m amazed it let you check out with the out of stock option. I don’t even know what to think.

If you want to feel less frustrating I will share that I bought outfits from a frum website and it was all non-returnable but 1/2 my outfit(s) were out of stock -which I was notified in an email 3 days later. So I have skirts without tops and tops without skirts. If the website was up to date I would have ordered a different size or left the unmatched piece-but now they are telling me it is not returnable. (And the website still says it is available in that color and size but not a different size or the other color). If I would order in a different size and they actually have it, they told me I need to pay shipping again and wouldn’t waive as a courtesy.

Did you pay with PayPal or a credit card?
I will tell them that I will dispute it unless they return or don't take charge delivery. It isn't correct what they have done.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 1:21 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
Did you pay with PayPal or a credit card?
I will tell them that I will dispute it unless they return or don't take charge delivery. It isn't correct what they have done.

It is not correct what they have done. I will just wear with black/white/pink…. It is not worth the mental energy, but will never order from them again. I just find very different services with frum verses Ann Taylor/Bloomingdales/off 5th.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 2:11 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

Wow! So frustrating!!!

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 2:19 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

This happens to me all the time as I always shop at frum stores online at end of season when everything is 80% off. While annoying, I completely understand that I am likely purchasing the items at cost price and this is the risk that comes with getting such low prices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette