Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO Chalav Yisroel Buttermilk

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:26 pm
Has anyone seen chalav Yisroel buttermilK? What brand and where did you see it?

I am in Baltimore but my son can bring it from Lakewood — if it exists.

peacock

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:53 pm
Mehadrin plain kefir

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:12 pm
Ive never seen it but I wish I want to make real ranch dressing lol

newlywed5

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:15 pm
Buttermilk is fairly easy to make . I believe it is 1 tbsp of lemon juice per cup of water

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:16 pm
I make my own. 2 tbsp vinegar per 1 cup milk.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 4:13 pm
Adding vinegar or lemon juice is a substitute for buttermilk, but it's not actual buttermilk.

I am also in Baltimore and would love cy buttermilk. Kreider farms makes buttermilk. I wonder if they would do special runs for pride of the farms. I mean, if they make cy egg nog I'm sure buttermilk is possible.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 4:16 pm
Never seen it. I make it my adding a bit of acv or lemon juice to the milk. Very easy and effective.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 4:36 pm
If you want real buttermilk,

buy fresh cream.

Put the cream in a large empty milk bottle.

Shake it and shake it until you end up with a lump of butter. The liquid is buttermilk.

We do this on pesach. I never know what to do with the buttermilk (on pesach) so I end up throwing it out.

I just do the lemon juice and milk thing when I bake and it calls for buttermilk.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 4:38 pm
Raisin wrote:

buy fresh cream.

Shake it and shake it until you end up with a lump of butter. The liquid is buttermilk.

We do this on pesach. I never know what to do with the buttermilk (on pesach) so I end up throwing it out.

I just do the lemon juice and milk thing when I bake and it calls for buttermilk.

Make Ranch Dressing soooooo good when its milchig vs pareve.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 4:57 pm
Raisin wrote:

buy fresh cream.

Doesn't that only work for cultured cream? In the US regular cream isn't cultured and what's left over after making butter is not the same as real buttermilk.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 7:00 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Adding vinegar or lemon juice is a substitute for buttermilk, but it's not actual buttermilk.
I am also in Baltimore and would love cy buttermilk. Kreider farms makes buttermilk. I wonder if they would do special runs for pride of the farms. I mean, if they make cy egg nog I'm sure buttermilk is possible.

OK, so that is an idea. All Kreider Farms milk is certified by Star-K. I believe it is all actually cholov Yisroel even if not labelled as such. I wonder about Kreider Farms buttermilk. I will have to call Star-K to find out.

And I bought a half gallon of Pride of the Farm eggnog earlier today.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 7:06 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
OK, so that is an idea. All Kreider Farms milk is certified by Star-K. I believe it is all actually cholov Yisroel even if not labelled as such. I wonder about Kreider Farms buttermilk. I will have to call Star-K to find out.

And I bought a half gallon of Pride of the Farm eggnog earlier today.

Can you please share what they say?

I didn't buy the egg nog yet. I'm waiting and hoping it goes on sale.

shanie5

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 11:00 pm
Once you get your first bottle/carton of buttermilk, you can use a little of that to make more buttermilk. There are youtube videos explaining how. I think it's as simple as adding milk to a little buttermilk and letting it sit on your counter for a day or 2.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:28 am
Following up:

I called Star-K. According to the woman answered the phone, Kreider Farms buttermilk is kosher but not cholov Yisroel. I left a message for Rabbi Rosen asking whether they ever do a special CY run.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:37 am
shanie5 wrote:
Once you get your first bottle/carton of buttermilk, you can use a little of that to make more buttermilk. There are youtube videos explaining how. I think it's as simple as adding milk to a little buttermilk and letting it sit on your counter for a day or 2.

I did that a few years ago. The problem is getting some buttermilk as a starter. For a while J&J had CY buttermilk.

I found this:
https://cheesemaking.com/produ.....aking
but would the starter also need to be CY?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 2:41 pm
Update for real buttermilk lovers: I just purchased a quart of Bethel Creamery Whole Buttermilk at Market Maven in Baltimore. Bethel Creamery is a cholov Yisroel dairy based in upstate New York, so other places should have it too.

Real buttermilk biscuits! Real buttermilk pancakes! Ranch dressing! Very exciting. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen