Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child Getting Contact Lenses - Doctor Charges $400???
Previous  1  2  3

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:39 am
amother OP wrote:
I use this same office for myself and they have no issue giving me my contact lens prescription and then I order it over the phone by The Lens Center who ships them to my house. That's part of why I am so lost because I had never heard of this before.

The difference is that you are not a new contact lens wearer. Your daughter is.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:40 am
amother OP wrote:
To those of you saying DC must get fit by a doctor, why wouldn't an optical store be able to do the same thing? Have the kid try on different types of lenses, figure out which is the best, teach them basics of hygiene and putting in and taking out...

Legally an optical store is not allowed to dispense contacts without a prescription from a doctor. And the doctor will only give the prescription if you come for a contact lens fitting, not just a regular exam

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 8:44 am
Also to add as we see from.this thread there are 2 ways if dealing with this:

1. Some doctors only charge for a contact lens fitting for a new contact lens wearer. This is in addition to the regular eye exam and is usually not covered by insurance

2. Many doctors nowadays charge every year for a contact lens fitting, on top of the regular exam. It's not really necessary if the patient has been wearing the same lens for years but the patients need to do it or they won't get the prescription and won't be able to buy more lenses.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics