Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Taking cholent on shabbos before the meal

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:49 am
We have a crock pot that has a flat base and then the rectangular pot goes on top of it. How does one take cholent before the meal- like Friday night or for breakfast?

peace2

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:51 am
Remove the pot from the base and keep your hand in the pot the whole time. It’s usually a two person job. Don’t take the lid off until it’s off the base.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:51 am
Hold on to the pot while removing food.

So put a trivet or towel on counter. Take the pot off the flat cooking surface. Maintain a hand on one side the whole time. Take lid off with the other hand. Ladle out food. Put lid back and put pot back on.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:03 am
I thought it has to remain partially on the base?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:04 am
Also cover the base with a silver foil before shabbos.
If possible the knob as well.
There are 5 tenaim.
Can someone help me here?
Fully cooked
Covered flame
Have in mind to put in back
Don't put pot down and ?

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:

I dont think you can take food out if its still on the base.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:

No, you can hold it sideways so part is off the base.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:

No. It's cannot be opened or stirred (like when you take out food) or closed while it's on the base at all. (Nothing can be done that could contribute to cooking)

You need at least 2 out of 3 conditions:
1. The food must still be very very hot. Quickly do what you need to and put it back **This step is necessary.** You need this condition and then at least 1 of the other 2:

2. You have to have in mind that you will be putting it back.
3. You have to hold it/keep a hand on it at all times.

Best practice is to always use all 3 conditions. Let's say, for example, you forget to have in mind that you'll put it back, you're ok if you were holding it the whole time. Or if you accidentally let go, you're ok if you had in mind to put it back.

So if I would do this by myself, I would first gather everything I need: 2 trivets, bowl, spoon, oven mitts. Lay out the two trivets. Keeping in mind I plan on putting it back, take crockpot off the base and put it on one trivets. Keeping one hand on the handle of the crockpot, I'd take off the cover and place it on the second trivet. Scoop out cholent. Cover the crockpot with one hand. Then I can use both hands to put the already closed crockpot back on the base.

It's definitely much easier with two people. One person holds the crockpot, the other uncovers, removes food, covers the crockpot. Person 1 then returns it to the base.

Sorry, corrected by previous poster. There are more conditions. These are the ones I keep in mind while doing it, assuming everything else is already ok, such as a blech, covered knob, fully cooked...

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:18 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Also cover the base with a silver foil before shabbos.
If possible the knob as well.
There are 5 tenaim.
Can someone help me here?
Fully cooked
Covered flame
Have in mind to put in back
Don't put pot down and ?

I think it's that it still needs to be above a certain temperature. It's been a while since I learnt it inside

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:18 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

You cannot stir or serve from a pot on the heat source on Shabbos. So it needs to be taken off fully before you serve. Also, you cannot remove a lid from a pot on the heat unless the food is considered "fully cooked" and I'm not sure if something liquidy falls under that category.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:20 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Right, that’s what I said- partially on the base. Slide it to the side so it’s half off or whatever, take the cover off with one hand, take cholent, close it, and slide it back.

Edit: oh I see what everyone else is saying. Got it. Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:22 am
Ask your LOR

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Right, that’s what I said- partially on the base. Slide it to the side so it’s half off or whatever, take the cover off with one hand, take cholent, close it, and slide it back.

Edit: oh I see what everyone else is saying. Got it. Thanks!

Yes, it's technically the same end result but I wanted to point out that the off is the difference.
Gardenia says different. I'm going to try to ask dh, he did learn it more recently then me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and I should be putting it slightly on the counter/towel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:29 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Yes, it's technically the same end result but I wanted to point out that the off is the difference.
Gardenia says different. I'm going to try to ask dh, he did learn it more recently than me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and I should be putting it slightly on the counter/towel.

Please let me know what he says. My husband says you have to take it completely off, but I seem to recall learning that if it’s the flat kind it can be partially on. A round one that is inserted into the base I think needs to come fully out, but you need to hold it the whole time and have in mind….and other stuff too.

Yes, I will ask my rabbi
This is assuming that all other conditions are met.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:31 am
I think some people take the crockpot off and turn it sideways, so it's resting on the "lip" and not flat on the heat source. (I'd ask if that's ok cause I have no idea). Or people who use a pot on a blech will slide it over to a cooler zone to take out food. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

happy7

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:35 am
https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....ions/

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 12:40 pm
I stand corrected. Half off the base/hot plate is wrong.

It needs to be held or partially on counter/towel/trivet.

Thanks op, I'm gonna do better now.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 12:44 pm
A lot of the advice on here is halachically incorrect.

Please don't take halachic advice from imamother!!

It can only be done, even with holidng onto it and intent to put back etc if you make it into a blech before shabbos. We hold that putting in 'balls' of silver foil under the base and covering the knobs satisfies that requirement. Even then, it has to be completely removed from the base, you can't open it while on the base.

But, don't take it from me either, ask your LOR Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Opal wrote:
A lot of the advice on here is halachically incorrect.

Please don't take halachic advice from imamother!!

It can only be done, even with holidng onto it and intent to put back etc if you make it into a blech before shabbos. We hold that putting in 'balls' of silver foil under the base and covering the knobs satisfies that requirement. Even then, it has to be completely removed from the base, you can't open it while on the base.

But, don't take it from me either, ask your LOR Smile

We have foil on it. I said all other conditions are met. I’m specifically asking how to take cholent out of the pot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note