Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Second period - when to stop wearing protection just in case

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:08 pm
My 13 year old got her first period in late December.

I know periods can be unpredictable for the first couple of years and I told her that.

At four weeks from the date of her first period, I told her start wearing a liner for "just in case".

Now it's been about 10 days that she's been wearing a liner and nothing doing yet.

She wants to know when she can stop wearing a liner.

There's no way of knowing - if she would get her period tomorrow or in a month or in six months.

I don't know how to advise her.

Of course, she will keep a bag with pads in it in her knapsack, but it would still be awkward to get her period at school without having some sort of protection.

But she doesn't want to keep wearing liners forever.

(Her first period came at home so she didn't have to deal with getting it at school).

She doesn't like period undewear.

Please advise!!!!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:11 am
I'd say forgo the liner until she gets a few drops in the underwear and always have a little pack of pads in her backpack or at the nurse's office or whatever. Chances are that the first hour she gets her second period she won't be gushing immediately. My daughter (17) just had her first period in 6 years (for medical reasons we supressed it from age 10 to 16) and it was a month long. Having HER help choose the type of pad helped us deal. She doesn't like the same type of pad I do so now I keep pads for me and pads for her in both our bathrooms. Your daughter should know that she'll be irregular for a bit and that's normal but she should always have pads with her. And maybe a gift or special treat for putting up with this milestone might be nice. Smile

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:17 am
I would let her choose if she wants to wear one or not. 10 days is a long time!

Worst comes to worse, soak her underwear if she gets her period and isn't prepared.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:27 am
Thank you.
Of course it’s her choice!
But I think she will have a really challenging time if she starts getting her period at school. (Even though we’ve discussed it and she has supplies.)
The liner is a safety net.
But it doesn’t make sense to wear it forever.

More thoughts welcome.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:04 am
Does she use the bathroom every day in school? Many girls don't. So then she has smaller chances of discovering her period in school. Don't make her anxious about it... It's hardly likely that she'll leak through even if she does get it. At most her panty will get dirty.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:24 am
It could take 6 months to a year for a second period to arrive. No need to keep wearing a liner for months. Deal with it when it arrives.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you.
Of course it’s her choice!
But I think she will have a really challenging time if she starts getting her period at school. (Even though we’ve discussed it and she has supplies.)
The liner is a safety net.
But it doesn’t make sense to wear it forever.

More thoughts welcome.

In a lifetime of 4-500 menstrual periods (I'm glad no one told me that when I was twelve!), there's going to be some that begin at less convenient times. You can't cover every eventuality. As long as ahead has supplies available in her bag, she doesn't need to be expecting it every minute.

Later, it may or may not be regular, but she will learn to recognise her body's signals that it is due, and prepare appropriately.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:50 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
It could take 6 months to a year for a second period to arrive. No need to keep wearing a liner for months. Deal with it when it arrives.

This. It can take months to get her 2nd period. Like you said, it can be extremely unpredictable the first year. No need to wear liners.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:25 am
Did she actually try a period underwear? Or does she just not like the idea of them?

Bc honestly, I love my thinx air. It's the lightest absorbency. Just as comfortable as regular underwear. I wear those on the last days of my period. It's honestly perfect for spotting.

You can get two or three pair so she can switch off during the days she might get it.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:54 am
I never wore liners to prepare! Sounds super uncomfortable.

First day is usually light staining. Married- we don't want to look, but she def can!

Worst case, I put some folded tissues, if I saw blood when I wiped, to tide til I got home if I had no pads etc. on hand.

I never leaked thru my clothes. Ever.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:56 am
Do people literally get their periods with a huge rush of blood randomly ??

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:57 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
I never wore liners to prepare! Sounds super uncomfortable.

First day is usually light staining. Married- we don't want to look, but she def can!

Worst case, I put some folded tissues, if I saw blood when I wiped, to tide til I got home if I had no pads etc. on hand.

I never leaked thru my clothes. Ever.

Same.
Never knew it's a thing to wear liners, and I've never leaked through my clothes.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:59 am
They sell these liners that are so high tech they are so thin and still absorb. You don’t feel it and it’s just feels clean

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:18 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Do people literally get their periods with a huge rush of blood randomly ??

Yes. I had such a hard time with it especially as a teenager.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:51 pm
Thanks everyone.

I guess when it happens, she’ll just have to do the “slip a pad into her sleeve” thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children