Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Celiac for beginners-ISO of recipes, advice and any useful
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate everyone taking the time. Yeah, I think the hardest part is all the stuff I don't realize the gluten is in, like the spices or sauces. Should I assume that if things don't have any gluten ingredients, even if it doesn't say gf, it's safe? I've noticed some of the kosher foods in my cupboard don't have whether it's gf, it just gives the ingredients. Thankfully most of the spices and sauces so far in my cupboard have all been free of obvious gluten.

I think the challah is going to be my biggest challenge. Bread, pasta and the like, I can cut out and eat other foods, but I can't not eat challah. Is molino flour better than oat flour for challos? Does anyone have a good recipe for challah I can try?

I'm being positive and trying not to see it as such a big deal and a major lifestyle change (even if it is). When I sat my kids down to explain it to them, they were really busy trying to work out which foods would still be okay for me to eat. It was really sweet. I think it's forcing me to eat healthier as I have to prepare food in advance, and I can't just grab a sandwich or some crackers.

From what I hear the molino challah is much better than oat challah. Most likely, as someone mentioned, the first few weeks you won't enjoy it as much but as time goes on you'll appreciate it more.

Here's the recipe I use for challah. I think it tastes good and the GF people who I've given it to love it.

Proof yeast:
1 3/4 cups warm water
2 tbsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
Put in big bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes until it's frothy.

Add remaining ingredients and mix by hand until combined. Will be sticky. After it rises will be easy to work with.
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 package blue Molino flour (this is the one which is hamotzi)
1 tbsp salt

Rise for 1.5 hours or so. Braid. Bake on 350f/180c until golden brown.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also, if I buy gluten free flour-can I use it in my regular recipes? Or will it not work?

There are 1 for 1 substitutes that are supposed to be great, but I don't know if they work for every recipe. In Israel the keragil כרגיל flour is highly recommended.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:24 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
From what I hear the molino challah is much better than oat challah. Most likely, as someone mentioned, the first few weeks you won't enjoy it as much but as time goes on you'll appreciate it more.

Here's the recipe I use for challah. I think it tastes good and the GF people who I've given it to love it.

Proof yeast:
1 3/4 cups warm water
2 tbsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
Put in big bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes until it's frothy.

Add remaining ingredients and mix by hand until combined. Will be sticky. After it rises will be easy to work with.
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 package blue Molino flour (this is the one which is hamotzi)
1 tbsp salt

Rise for 1.5 hours or so. Braid. Bake on 350f/180c until golden brown.

I don't need the xanthum gum, or whatever it's called in the recipe? And it turns into enough of a dough to braid?

I guess it's me off to the stores to explore the gluten free sections and see what they have. And I want to get to costco for the almond flour as I've bought it before and liked it. It feels a little like I'm preparing for pesach. Except for the challah thing.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:59 pm
Any tips on where to buy GF products in Jerusalem. Friend just told me they need to start.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't need the xanthum gum, or whatever it's called in the recipe? And it turns into enough of a dough to braid?

I guess it's me off to the stores to explore the gluten free sections and see what they have. And I want to get to costco for the almond flour as I've bought it before and liked it. It feels a little like I'm preparing for pesach. Except for the challah thing.

No you don’t need xantham gum. That’s only if you make a recipe with your own flour blend. The 1 to 1 mixes have it in them already. I don’t know this recipe but usually the molino recipes are braidable you just need to be gentle and use oiled or wet hands. Some are easier than others and almost all are easier after the dough rises a while.
You asked about baking, cake recipes do very well with 1 to 1 flour like King Arthur or Bobs. Cookies are less predictable but usually work well but anything with yeast needs special recipes so I don’t suggest experimenting with that unless you’re good at it or ready for flops.
You can use a molino challah recipe for pizza dough, cinnamon buns, even donuts for Chanukah.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics