Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Does Everyone Use Heavily Perfumed Detergents??

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:03 pm
I can't believe this has happened to me twice now from 2 separate people. What do you do if after lending out some articles of clothing, it is returned to you having been washed in a very heavily perfumed detergent and the smell does not come out? Some people, including kids, are highly sensitive to these smells, and I literally rewashed the items in the washing machine three separate times and they still reek! Even tried using vinegar in the machine, to no avail. The entire room stinks from it and I cannot believe after three washings the heavy perfume smell still won't come out! What kind of detergent is this that the smell doesn't come out and it is so strong? And more so why are people using this stuff that has so many unhealthy chemicals in it? Is there any hope for getting this smell out or do I just have to throw the items out?

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:09 pm
I use Tide. Is that considered heavily perfumed? Confused
What detergent do you use?

mommyla

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:15 pm
Sounds more like a Scentify or diffuser thing. My daughter has a friend who has one in the house and she always smells like it when she gets home. The scent clings.

Also, people use those in-wash scent boosters, maybe that’s it.

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:18 pm
It's probably not the detergent.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:27 pm
So tell them before you lend it out that you don't want them to wash it, you'll take care of it when it gets back. Or stop lending clothes. Sounds like it's not the right chessed for you.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:30 pm
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
I use Tide. Is that considered heavily perfumed? Confused
What detergent do you use?

I also use tide and I add in some of the tide scent beads.

Cheiny, next time you lend out clothing, I would just tell the people to send it back on washed and you will do it yourself.

Happy247

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:38 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I can't believe this has happened to me twice now from 2 separate people. What do you do if after lending out some articles of clothing, it is returned to you having been washed in a very heavily perfumed detergent and the smell does not come out? Some people, including kids, are highly sensitive to these smells, and I literally rewashed the items in the washing machine three separate times and they still reek! Even tried using vinegar in the machine, to no avail. The entire room stinks from it and I cannot believe after three washings the heavy perfume smell still won't come out! What kind of detergent is this that the smell doesn't come out and it is so strong? And more so why are people using this stuff that has so many unhealthy chemicals in it? Is there any hope for getting this smell out or do I just have to throw the items out?

Did you try soaking it with vinegar, not just in the wash? Lots of vinegar relative to the amount of water.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:42 pm
Honestly I’ve never loaned out clothing.

schoolbus

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:15 pm
I always add downy unstoppables to my loads. I love the smell.
But I don’t borrow clothing from people

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:33 pm
Probably added scent boosters.

Is this clothes you lend out for 1 time use ("My dd needs a black shirt for her performance do you have one?") Or hand me downs that are then returned? If the latter you shouldn't have much expectations for how you'll get them back. If the former perhaps tell them to send back unwashed?

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:36 pm
I never thought about laundry scents until my 2nd was sensitive to them. She gets terrible eczema when she comes in contact with it. I use a clean detergent now but she still flares up just from other people

socialbutterfly

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:35 pm
I love heavily scented detergent. The stronger the better Tongue Out

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:39 pm
I hate the scent boosters and scentify smells. It smells so chemically and clings to everything. I try to not walk through the perfume sections of certain stores for the same reason.
My husband's eczema was significantly reduced when I started to use ALL free and clear.

I would clean out the washing machine, soak the clothes in diluted white vinegar or maybe unscented oxi clean, and then wash it in a load with no soap, only white vinegar. Then later rewash in your detergent.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:52 pm
I also hate scented detergents. I use Tide Free & Gentle.

Do you have just a rinse cycle on your machine? I once had an Omega-3 oil capsule leak in a pocket. It was horrible. Sad After I washed with detergent a couple of times, I just rinsed and rinsed and rinsed - maybe 10 times? FINALLY the scent came out.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:09 pm
Ugh Cheiny I agree! I use only unscented detergent, and no fabric softener ever.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:09 pm
I look for unscented products, but they're not always available or they never go on sale while the scented ones do. I almost laughed my head off when I met a friend in the supermarket and she kvelled over how nice her shirt smelled thanks to the detergent she used. She sounded like a TV commercial!

PSA people: Not everyone is in love with fragrance, or with the same fragrances you are. Some people are offended by strong scents and some suffer headaches, eye and nose irritation, or difficulty breathing. PLEASE limit your use of fragrance to intimate private moments and let the rest of the world enjoy your brilliant smile, your sparkling sense of humor, your angelic character, your charming face and form, and your UNSCENTED presence.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
I look for unscented products, but they're not always available or they never go on sale while the scented ones do. I almost laughed my head off when I met a friend in the supermarket and she kvelled over how nice her shirt smelled thanks to the detergent she used. She sounded like a TV commercial!

PSA people: Not everyone is in love with fragrance, or with the same fragrances you are. Some people are offended by strong scents and some suffer headaches, eye and nose irritation, or difficulty breathing. PLEASE limit your use of fragrance to intimate private moments and let the rest of the world enjoy your brilliant smile, your sparkling sense of humor, your angelic character, your charming face and form, and your UNSCENTED presence.

I wear a light perfume and like nice, soft smells but this overpowering chemical smell is just unreal. That it didn’t wash out after 3 tries, including with vinegar is just beyond overkill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry