Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to teach teen to swallow pills
Previous  1  2

Cookin4days

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:05 pm
I taught myself in the 12th grade by taking a big gulp of water and shoving the pill in that it “floats” and then quickly swallowing till today Ido it like this, If my tongue touches it I can’t swallow and end up spitting it out

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
How does he teach them?
My 19 y old still can't swallow pills...
Tried with smoothies, ice cream, mini lentils, chin down, etc. She can't swallow without chewing.

It's not a specific method. Whichever they or their parent is using (small candies etc). It's just the reassurance that someone who can help if they Chas veshalom choke is right there. He stays there for as many times as they need to do it to feel confident.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:38 am
amother Steel wrote:
It's not a specific method. Whichever they or their parent is using (small candies etc). It's just the reassurance that someone who can help if they Chas veshalom choke is right there. He stays there for as many times as they need to do it to feel confident.

If all else fails: pill in a slice of banana- slides down
pill in a spoonful of applesauce- slides down

fig

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 12:59 am
Check if your daughter has tongue thrust. Just discovered that my 18 year old daughter had it. She went to a speech therapist. After a few sessions - her tongue thrust was
gone and she was able to swallow
pills for the first time.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 4:18 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
How does he teach them?
My 19 y old still can't swallow pills...
Tried with smoothies, ice cream, mini lentils, chin down, etc. She can't swallow without chewing.

In most cases it won't make any difference if she does chew it. It just tastes awful.

Packing medicine as a pill or capsule makes accurate dosing a lot more reliable, and for people who can swallow pills it makes taking it easier. In hospitals it is standard practice to crush pills for those who have difficulty swallowing them. (I also crush pills for my pets when necessary.)

The main exception is slow release pills, which are specially designed with a coating that allows them to release the contents over a period of hours so that the body does not get overwhelmed.

If you have any doubts about crushing pills (or just breaking in half to make it easier to swallow) speak to your doctor, but generally it's not a problem. Pill cutters and pill crushers are easily available on amazon, and probably in your local pharmacy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics