Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is there a reason apartments in French Hill are so much chea

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 5:08 pm
How come apartments in French Hill are much cheaper than surrounding areas?

What am I missing?

They seem to be much cheaper than other apartments much further out of central Yerushalayim. Why?

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 5:08 pm
Because it's still a very Arab neighborhood so ppl get nervous.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 5:13 pm
Is it the type that will become completely Jewish over the years or not?

Rappel

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 5:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes, by my personal observation. But check with people whom have been here longer

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

The only reason it might not become completely Jewish is that it's right near Hebrew University so there probably will always be students who want to live there.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 6:27 pm
Its quite literally on the wrong side of the tracks.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:03 pm
It's largely a student neighbourhood, which means a lot of seasonal occupancy, and high turnover. The students appreciate the cheap prices, and the landlords stick to basic maintenance. It's not likely to turn into a chareidi neighbourhood.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:31 pm
Rappel wrote:
Yes, by my personal observation. But check with people whom have been here longer

Why do you think so?
Its been this way for YEARS. I think thats just the way that neighborhood is.
Its not for everyone. Thats all.

mudpies

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 1:54 am
Generally in this country, I find that the more chareidi a neighborhood is = the more expensive.
French Hill is, in essence, not a chareidi area, like previous posters wrote. There are a lot of arab all around, there are a bunch of students, and then lots of frum families also (mostly not chareidi tho). More recently, there are a lot of chareidim who want to live in Yerushalayim but can't afford the prices, so moving to French Hill is a good option for them. It's walkable to many of the other neighborhoods they're familiar with, but the prices are much cheaper.
It's likely the chareidi presence there will grow, though I doubt it will ever completely take over, because of the students. Also, obviously, anyone living there has to still be okay with living in East Jerusalem.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:04 am
amother OP wrote:

It's the type where the land could be taken away under your feet at any moment, because it is in the occupied territories.
I would not buy there.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:11 am
I live here

I do believe it eventually will turn into a charedi area - but it will take a while because of the students, and because the older secular population are still holding on to the old way the neighborhood was coming.

There is also Pinui Binui planned, and it is impossible to know how it will change the neighborhood. But for the past few years, whenever a property comes on the market, charedi people buy it - some as an investment who continue to rent out to students, but no secular people are buying ( I am friends with the real estate agents, secular and frum, and I follow what is going on).

The reason it is still cheaper:
Still a secular, mixed neighborhood. It is getting more and more frum all the time, but we are not even half the population yet (although getting there).

There is an arab population. Personally, I have more of an issue with the Arabs from Isawilla and Wadi Joz who drive thru the neighborhood and use the banks, post office ect. in the neighborhood, the Arabs who live in the neighborhood are usually Christian Arabs, and the ones who are Muslim, are very secular, professional Muslims who choose to pay over double to live in French Hill over Shuafat or Isawilla because they are trying o be part of the Israeli culture.
But for example, I will not walk alone at night because it does not feel safe, and some of the arabs who drive thru can be very intimidating.

If I could afford it I would totally invest here - in 20-30 years it will probably be as frum as ramat eshkol is today

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:14 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
It's the type where the land could be taken away under your feet at any moment, because it is in the occupied territories.
I would not buy there.

It is no more of a risk then buying in the Old city, parts of ramot, Ramat Shlomo ect.

Lots of jerusalem is over the green line, but it is very unlikley that the parts that have a historic jewih presence pre 1948 (like french hill) will ever be given back. If this was your concern about buying in Shech Jarach or Ir David, I would understand the concern.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:23 am
mudpies wrote:
Generally in this country, I find that the more chareidi a neighborhood is = the more expensive.
French Hill is, in essence, not a chareidi area, like previous posters wrote. There are a lot of arab all around, there are a bunch of students, and then lots of frum families also (mostly not chareidi tho). More recently, there are a lot of chareidim who want to live in Yerushalayim but can't afford the prices, so moving to French Hill is a good option for them. It's walkable to many of the other neighborhoods they're familiar with, but the prices are much cheaper.
It's likely the chareidi presence there will grow, though I doubt it will ever completely take over, because of the students. Also, obviously, anyone living there has to still be okay with living in East Jerusalem.

complete opposite in RBS. The chareidi areas end up with pockets of DL families who find affordable housing. The strictly DL/less chareidi areas are more expensive.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:49 am
It will always be somewhat mixed (religious/secular and Jewish/Arab) because of the proximity both to the university and the hospital and its location on 'the seam'.
That said, I also see it moving towards having a predominantly charedi population especially once the old-time secular population moves on.
I don't think there are many young secular families moving in.
My son is renting there with another student and he's very happy. Lots of shops and services and close to the light rail and major bus lines.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 2:55 am
Probably bc you have to be ok living right near arabs

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 3:25 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I would not buy there.

Ramat Eshkol is also over the green line. It was named for Levi Eshkol, Prime Minister during the Six Day War.

So is the Old City, where people pay some of the highest real estate prices in the world.

Much of Jerusalem is technically 'occupied territory', if you want to use that terminology.

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 5:33 am
My doctor is in French Hill and I don't feel super safe walking around there. I wouldn't be comfortable living there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions