Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Passaic

mommyisbest

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 9:40 pm
Seriously considering moving here from Lakewood.

Son probably has ADHD (He's not eligible for the diagnosis because too young, but he is in the 98th percentile for hyperactivity and inattention, and is eligible for help where we live).

Would love to know the average price for a house and the warmest school that would work for my son.

We are semiyeshivish working, ok with movies, nonjewish books, library access, but no tv, filtered smartphones. We strongly value both learning and secular education. We do look pretty lakewoody tho.

We want a school that is extremely warm and small classes, andpotentially a strong resource room and are ok if the parent body does not match our hashkafa exactly. (We'd be ok if a few parents have a tv for example, but not if all of them do but us).

Is passaic a good match and what school would fit? Thanks.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:13 pm
YBH sounds like a good fit. Housing is hard to find and not so cheap… don’t know exact prices.. great community

mommyisbest

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Copper wrote:
YBH sounds like a good fit. Housing is hard to find and not so cheap… don’t know exact prices.. great community

We were considering ybh. Wondering if the families have tv and open internet there in general...
Are there working black-hat families that send there?

mommyisbest

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:07 pm
Update?

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:19 pm
mommyisbest wrote:
We were considering ybh. Wondering if the families have tv and open internet there in general...
Are there working black-hat families that send there?

There are families with TVs but an actual TV with a big screen isn’t so popular anymore, everyone watches on a computer which you’ll find in all the schools although definitely more so in YBH. Yes they have black hat families and normal for the boys to wear as well but it’s not everyone. Ask them where their current 8th grade boy class is going next year to get an idea of the range of hashkafos.
The ADHD part I don’t know about but make sure they’re going to accept you before you plan a move. They’re not hard to get into like some other places you read about here but they don’t accept every single applicant.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:35 pm
I would go down to YBH to check it out. It's not clear from your post how yeshivish you are or aren't and I'm not sure if you'll be comfortable there. It is a great school. Hashkafically probably the Cheder might be a better fit but they are small and do not have a major resource room. YK would definitely work hashkafically but it's a huge school and it doesn't sound like what you are looking for

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:58 pm
Another vote for YBH. An excellent school - wonderful rabbeim, Moros and teachers, an excellent Hanhala, a strong learning center, great kids and families - kids with good middos.

mommyisbest

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:06 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
There are families with TVs but an actual TV with a big screen isn’t so popular anymore, everyone watches on a computer which you’ll find in all the schools although definitely more so in YBH. Yes they have black hat families and normal for the boys to wear as well but it’s not everyone. Ask them where their current 8th grade boy class is going next year to get an idea of the range of hashkafos.
The ADHD part I don’t know about but make sure they’re going to accept you before you plan a move. They’re not hard to get into like some other places you read about here but they don’t accept every single applicant.

Thank you. What is the average class size?

I am going to book a tour if I can

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:16 pm
How old is your son ? I live is Passaic and send my kids to ybh it’s a range for everything but really shifting more to the right . Passaic is not the best place for boe services but they love an adhd diagnosis.
Ybh is amazing and definitely work with parents and students to be the most successful. I do have a child with Multiple learning disabilities and ybh while definitely doing everything can they can only do so much. That is why there are so many different schools popping up these days that help out with all different issues . Just something to consider what if you move here and I’m just assuming you have a preschooler by the time they are mid Elementary it can not be a good fit anymore. There are plenty of kids who just go though anyway in all places and all schools .
I don’t know much but there might be a more Specialize school that can help you now.
You can always call ybh or any school and talk to them first any outher questions I am happy to try to help you .

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:19 pm
YKP actually has a lot for kids with ADHD. They have small classes in every grade for kids who have difficulty learning, and those teachers are usually very warm and understanding. The school as a whole is huge though.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Iris wrote:
YKP actually has a lot for kids with ADHD. They have small classes in every grade for kids who have difficulty learning, and those teachers are usually very warm and understanding. The school as a whole is huge though.

Some grades have a small class for that but not all. Even if a grade currently has it doesn’t always continue to the next years.

mommyisbest

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:40 pm
amother Iris wrote:

Thanks. This is useful new info. I did not know this.

monseymom161

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:43 am
My kids go to YBH. They strongly recommend filters on internet and 99% of the middle school kids do not have cell phones. I think there's a range of religious YU type to semi-Yeshivish. Most are working, serious families that are frum. Most of the mothers dress very tznius. There were a handful of families that left in recent years because the girls wore pants outside of school and I don't think their Hashkafa was so aligned. I don't think there are kollel family yeshivish, but definitely some fathers that wear a black hat and kids don't watch movies.

As far as ADHD is concerned, they work with you (but you need to be an advocate for your child and firm with having them implement/remind some teachers of certain things). The younger classes are bigger though as the school is growing. For example, the middle school classes range from 16-22, the younger classes can have up to 24/25 kids. How old is your son?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating