Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Can you make deli roll without mayo?
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
All I can think of in terms of mayo on a deli roll is the scene in Annie Hall when the extremely shiksa Annie orders a pastrami sandwich on white bread with mayo LOL LOL

I was going to mention this! I and most other BTs grew up putting mayo with cold cuts and I never knew it was a thing Jews don’t do until my grandparents told the story how they thought my mother wasn’t Jewish because she loved baloney on white bread with mayonnaise. The rest of America has a love affair with mayo on white bread and cheese or cold cuts (or cheese AND cold cuts).

Like I said, I hate mayo. But when it’s cooked it’s not the same and it’s magic with mustard on deli roll if you put the right amounts.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:08 pm
agreer wrote:
All of y'all are missing out....

The mayo is combined with the other saucy ingredients - ketchup, mustard, duck sauce, etc.

If you spread it on the pastry and then layer on the deli, the sauce melts into the pastry and makes it so, so delicious. You don't taste the mayo at all. It makes the dough moist.

Yummmm.

I am not saying mayo is treif in any combination but I have a visceral feeling of nausea when I picture it combined with deli type of meats.

Mayo on hamburgers is a thing in California which also makes me queasy.

Or ketchup on hotdogs versus good mustard. LOL

It might be equivalent to someone telling you that a bacon cheeseburger is delicious LOL

The odd thing is that I have no issues with mayo in foods like tuna salad or egg salad or potato salad

yachnabobba

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:44 pm
I use honey mixed with hot sauce or sriracha
It’s delicious

Odelyah

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:27 pm
Amarante wrote:
All I can think of in terms of mayo on a deli roll is the scene in Annie Hall when the extremely shiksa Annie orders a pastrami sandwich on white bread with mayo LOL LOL

yes! exactly this Thumbs Up

amyisroel

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 1:02 pm
I use mustard and apricot jam. Delicious!!
I'm actually tempted now to try it with a bit of mayo!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:49 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
My husband hates mayo, but sometimes I want to a deli roll! Can I replace it with something else to get the same mouth feel, maybe margarine? Just brainstorming.

I never put mayo, just mustard.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus