Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tuition vent
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:43 pm
I work full time and am in a position where I can easily get another job that will pay $20k-$30k more. However, all the extra money I make will go straight to tuition. I currently receive a tuition break, but if I did make an additional $30,000 it would go straight to the schools.

I'm frustrated because unless I make $100,000 more, which isn't an option in my career industry, there is no way to get ahead.

I live a very simple life, small house, never ever go to restaurants or on vacations, no cleaning help. I make enough to pay bills and put bigger repairs on credit cards that I pay off.

It's frustrating that I can't get a break from being above that since I wouldn't get to keep any extra money I made between tuition and taxes.

I know there's no solution, it's just a vent.

I guess one day when my kids grow up and tuition is done I can make more but that's a long way off

Highstrung

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:44 pm
I’d still take the higher salary . Kids don’t stay in school forever

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:46 pm
OMG I had to check if I wrote this!

I am in exactly the same boat. I feel like the schools don't realize that they disincentive people to make more money and everyone loses out in the end.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:48 pm
Also you will keep getting raise iyH and eventually you will feel it.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:48 pm
amother Sand wrote:
OMG I had to check if I wrote this!

I am in exactly the same boat. I feel like the schools don't realize that they disincentive people to make more money and everyone loses out in the end.

How do schools lose out? What do they benefit if you make more money but still don't pay more tuition?

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:56 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
How do schools lose out? What do they benefit if you make more money but still don't pay more tuition?

They should only take some of the increased money, not all of it.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:10 pm
Don't forget if you earn more you have to pay more in taxes Very Happy

groovy1224

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:13 pm
Have you actually spoken to the school about this? You might be pleasantly surprised. Yes if you are earning more money it's reasonable they will offer a smaller scholarship but I wouldn't jump to assume they will demand your entire take home pay.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:17 pm
It’s. A privilege not a burden (to cast off) to pay full tuition. I make many sacrifices in order to do so. If you don’t someone else is paying for your child (children) Passing over a better paying job so you can continue to get tuition discounts seems pretty unethical to me

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:24 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
They should only take some of the increased money, not all of it.

How do you know they will take all of it? Are you sure you won't still qualify for a break?

Also I'm confused. If you can easily get a job to be able to afford full tuition why wouldn't you prefer that over taking charity?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:26 pm
I grew up my parents pinched pennies to send us to school (paid full tuition) I look at it as an obligation for kids chinuch and if the opportunity to give more that’s better I wouldn’t consider this even a thing

We’ve been contributing to the scholarship fund and live very simply compared to most who pay full and donate , chinuch is priority

I hope the school scholarship funds go to those who truly honestly deserve them

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:35 pm
Aside from the ethical concern of tuition discounts, your kids won't be in school forever and you'll still have big expenses! Plus you're more likely to have opportunities for advancement. This is also what I say to people who say it doesn't pay to work if their whole takehome goes to childcare/tuition (mine pretty much does).

G-d willing you'll gain experience and further raises and be in a way better position in the workforce as your children grow. You'll also be better off in retirement. Play the long game and take the better paying job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
How do you know they will take all of it? Are you sure you won't still qualify for a break?

Also I'm confused. If you can easily get a job to be able to afford full tuition why wouldn't you prefer that over taking charity?

Increased pay brings increased responsibility. If the job was equally as easy then maybe I would consider it. But to add stress and a demanding job and then have to give all the money to paying more taxes and the schools causes me severe stress with no benefit. If it isn't making my life easier financially, I do not feel I need to suffer for the schools to get more money.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 3:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Increased pay brings increased responsibility. If the job was equally as easy then maybe I would consider it. But to add stress and a demanding job and then have to give all the money to paying more taxes and the schools causes me severe stress with no benefit. If it isn't making my life easier financially, I do not feel I need to suffer for the schools to get more money.

So don't take the harder job and make less money. It's up to you nobody is forcing you to take the better job.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 6:42 pm
I never understand these posts. What are you venting about? The school is doing you a favor - giving you a tuition break and not forcing you to pay full tuition. I pay full tuition and could take a less stressful job making less but I view full tuition as my obligation. You should be grateful that the school gives you a discount thereby allowing you to work in a less stressful job, not venting that if you make more money, you’ll have to pay more tuition.

Plus, you not paying full tuition most likely means someone is paying more to cover you.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 6:50 pm
OP I'm with you. Your sanity and mental health are important also. Don't take the job if it will cause you too much stress. I'm sure you have enough on your plate raising a family and working full time. It's not like you're taking it easy now. You're doing plenty.
There will be other opportunities IYH. Maybe when your kids are older and you have more headspace for a more stressful job.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:00 pm
Posts like these frustrate me so much. Your tuition discount isn’t coming out of thin air. It comes from people like us who pay full tuition and then tens of thousands extra per year to cover the tuition of people who don’t pay. We work our tails off to bh be able to affford to do so. It’s so frustrating to see people take the seeming easier way out when we do the exact opposite.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:04 pm
How would the school know if you make more money?

Maybe you can get some pay in a different form of reimbursement- such as grocery vouchers, car payments, insurance etc so that it won’t affect your actual pay.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:06 pm
How is this any different than saying why should I work? If I don't work I can qualify for charity.

Op the choice is yours. But it's not really the schools fault...and I don't usually side with the schools. But in this case why should they give you charity when you have enough money to pay, you just don't want to. If you legit don't have the money than that's another story.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Posts like these frustrate me so much. Your tuition discount isn’t coming out of thin air. It comes from people like us who pay full tuition and then tens of thousands extra per year to cover the tuition of people who don’t pay. We work our tails off to bh be able to affford to do so. It’s so frustrating to see people take the seeming easier way out when we do the exact opposite.

OP said she works full time and lives very simply. That doesn't sound like she is taking the easy way out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics