Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Whats so special about Monsey - so many people moving there?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
It is not taking off for the mainstream litvish working crowd. It’s very spread apart so it doesn’t have a neighborhood feel.

Re Stony point: we were looking, and while the houses feel more substantial, the lot may be 2 acres but most of it is wooded and not level, so not very usable. For the record , I'm a nature enthusiastic but even for me, this it too remote and in the forest, and it doesn't feel safe, and no sense of community.

wanttobehappy

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:50 pm
If anybody knows of a chassidish community like that you can let me know lol

Staten Island has the best of both worlds… it’s. Real community last night we had a stunning challah bake.. Motzh shabbous we are having a chumzhits with a singer.. people really care and are very welcoming.. there is rides going back and forth alll day… lots of get togethers on shabbous. Only thing d missing is a good pizza store… there are a girls/ boys chasdush schools here. It’s very Accepted for ladies to drive r here …. Loots of grass tons of flower trees alll over… lots of quiet streets. Public transportation is very hard Island kosher. Grocery with fanatics sandwich sushi takeout…We looked into. Monsey for a long time. Then there. Wasn’t a school that as neutral chasdush..

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 2:30 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
I'm in new city.

My husband actually likes New City better but I am not clear on the population. I am looking for a more down to earth crowd with working moms. Can we find our crowd there? We are both professionals and we live below our means and I am looking for a like-minded crowd. Passaic would probably work but we like the space in outskirts Monsey much better.
I wouldn’t call us simple but we are not looking to run after the latest materialism either.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 4:23 pm
If you want to get technical about Baltimore, TI was the first chassidish school. They started teaching in English I think in the 70s or early to mid 80s. For a time they had afternoon classes with TA for general studies. That shows the achdus of Baltimore. There has always been chassidish communities here, even before the community brought in on park heights and Rabbi Eichenstein. Lubavitch is bursting at its seams and there are so many Lubavitch shuls. Rabbi Kostelitz has two shuls. Rabbi Taub’s recently expanded. We have lots of mikvas for men. Many Friday night and YT mikvas for women. Lubavitch has a Mikva. There are keilim mikvas in stores and in other places. Come check out Baltimore!

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 8:54 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
We have been looking on the outskirts of Monsey for sometime now, and for 850k you can get a dilapidated bi-level in a frum neighborhood (with property taxes close to 20k) or a nicer house that may need just some updating but is not in a frum neighborhood (think a 2 mile walk in the dark for your DH on Friday night). Not such a מציאה at all...

Not accurate at all. There are move in condition homes within a mile of a shul with 15 frum families within a 10-15 minute walk. You need to get a new realtor.

And yes I know because I bought in the past few months and I there are houses on the market in my neighborhood.

You’re right about the property taxes but that’s Monsey.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 8:58 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
My husband actually likes New City better but I am not clear on the population. I am looking for a more down to earth crowd with working moms. Can we find our crowd there? We are both professionals and we live below our means and I am looking for a like-minded crowd. Passaic would probably work but we like the space in outskirts Monsey much better.
I wouldn’t call us simple but we are not looking to run after the latest materialism either.

Yes- look into the Little Tor neighborhood in New City East. The shul for the families in that area is on 7 Angus. Families live on both sides of North Little Tor in that area.

amother
Hosta

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

Haverstraw sounds perfect for you

amother
Stonewash

Post Sat, Feb 10 2024, 9:48 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

New city is pretty diverse. It's very big though and it depends which part. The Buena vista area sounds like what you are looking for. It's a mix of yeshivish and jpf. Lots of us work and there is no pressure here at all. It's really nice. There is a newer part of new city and I am not sure the crowd there. I think it's younger and fancier but can be wrong.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
New city is pretty diverse. It's very big though and it depends which part. The Buena vista area sounds like what you are looking for. It's a mix of yeshivish and jpf. Lots of us work and there is no pressure here at all. It's really nice. There is a newer part of new city and I am not sure the crowd there. I think it's younger and fancier but can be wrong.

Which area on Monsey outskirts is best for an older professional couple (kids married / in shidduchim) that isn't mainly Chasidish or yeshivish?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:

There are a few new neighborhoods in the newer part of new city. They all skew younger, which makes sense because they’re buying now, but not all are “fancier”. Overall they’re the JPF type, not really yeshivish but solid good frum working type. Some areas are “fancier” than others but some areas are just regular simple. In general though, by sheer market forces, most couples in their 20s/low 30s buying now anre either making a $250+ salary or has family money. Not sure if you consider that fancy or not. Talk to a broker familiar with the area to get a better picture.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 2:22 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Which area on Monsey outskirts is best for an older professional couple (kids married / in shidduchim) that isn't mainly Chasidish or yeshivish?

You sound like me. I’m still living in main Monsey (30 years) and holding onto my house for a while. I would think either the new area of new city or Haverstraw .

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:36 pm
Always loved Monsey and still do with all the changes. Best of both worlds. Private streets townhouses etc. Linden Union all these towns don't come near to the beauty of Monsey Bruchnios Bgashmiyos. You have sooo many choices - no tenants or yes tenants if you need the income

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 5:05 pm
amother Heather wrote:
You sound like me. I’m still living in main Monsey (30 years) and holding onto my house for a while. I would think either the new area of new city or Haverstraw .

I was under the impression that Haverstraw mainly consists of young couples. Am I mistaken?

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
I was under the impression that Haverstraw mainly consists of young couples. Am I mistaken?

All these new areas consist mostly of young families. Retiring couples tend to move near their kids (ie Lakewood) or EY.
We have a few friends who moved to both new city and Haverstraw and are amongst the oldest but like it.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:47 pm
amother Heather wrote:
All these new areas consist mostly of young families. Retiring couples tend to move near their kids (ie Lakewood) or EY.
We have a few friends who moved to both new city and Haverstraw and are amongst the oldest but like it.

We are not ready to retire quite yet -- early fifties! We are ready though to make new friends and enjoy some green grass and space.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:51 pm
wanttobehappy wrote:
If anybody knows of a chassidish community like that you can let me know lol

Staten Island has the best of both worlds… it’s. Real community last night we had a stunning challah bake.. Motzh shabbous we are having a chumzhits with a singer.. people really care and are very welcoming.. there is rides going back and forth alll day… lots of get togethers on shabbous. Only thing d missing is a good pizza store… there are a girls/ boys chasdush schools here. It’s very Accepted for ladies to drive r here …. Loots of grass tons of flower trees alll over… lots of quiet streets. Public transportation is very hard Island kosher. Grocery with fanatics sandwich sushi takeout…We looked into. Monsey for a long time. Then there. Wasn’t a school that as neutral chasdush..

So interesting to hear this perspective
I live on si too
Houses are really really small and extremely expensive

And I don't know what you mean by grass and flowers?! But I guess everything is relative
Anyway I see boys girls men and women commuting every single day to bp
I don't know the traffic the traveling it's really not easy

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:22 am
What about Wesley hills / Suffern? Is it all a very wealthy crowd? Any jpf, middle of the road, down to earth people there? What age group for the most part?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 12:52 am
amother Lilac wrote:
I’m chassidish but chilled? Not sure how to type myself. Most people my style are opting for Lakewood over Monsey but I would choose the outskirts of Monsey.
1. Schools suck in both places
2. I have much more family and am more familiar with Monsey.
3. I’m from bp and I love the culture here compared to Monsey AND Lakewood but I would prefer the Monsey culture over Lakewood’s. IMO Monsey is a bit less into fancy clothes etc. Monsey REALLY has all walks of life

I live in Monsey for 30 years. I'm 40. Monsey has shifted to the right, the chassidish crowd has become very very chassidish. There is barely any " old Monsey left". In BP, Lakewood, there is a chilled chassidish crowd. In Monsey, barely. I'm old Monsey, viener type, there is a peer pressure to be more chassidish, more in the box.
I don't know the school situation in Lakewood. In Monsey, either you belong to a mosdos or you are alumni, then you can get into a school. No BYBP , Klausenburg here is not like Klausenburg BP, Vien is completely different etc....
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating