Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone familiar with Tiferes Shmuel in Brooklyn?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 12:25 pm
Hi
From what I heard it’s a school that caters to adhd kids middle school & high school
But I also know of kids that go, and heard absolutely horrible things about the kids there .
Now it could be these are isolated kids & everyone else is normal there they just happen to have adhd
Not looking to send there now, but at this point my son isn’t making it in regular school environment for various reasons & I would like to know what’s out there
Anyone can tell me about Ts and Ts high schoool
How does it compare to the type of boys that go to Waterbury ?
Cuz I also heard some pretty crazy things about Waterbury 🙈🙈

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 12:36 pm
I'm pretty familiar with TS. Wonderful rabbaim. They care for the boys like their own children. They try to have a connection to each boy. I can't say enough about them.

As far as the boys go, look, most of the boys are there because they can't get into other schools. The issue is that boys with academic problems are together with boys with behavioral issues. The school has boys that are at risk.

Do you have a specific question about the school?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
I'm pretty familiar with TS. Wonderful rabbaim. They care for the boys like their own children. They try to have a connection to each boy. I can't say enough about them.

As far as the boys go, look, most of the boys are there because they can't get into other schools. The issue is that boys with academic problems are together with boys with behavioral issues. The school has boys that are at risk.

Do you have a specific question about the school?

Thank you for that honest response.
Anyone else ?

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:15 pm
My son was there for some time. Most of the boys are struggling hashkafically. Some hang out with girls etc. some of the boys are also very physically tough.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi
From what I heard it’s a school that caters to adhd kids middle school & high school
But I also know of kids that go, and heard absolutely horrible things about the kids there .
Now it could be these are isolated kids & everyone else is normal there they just happen to have adhd
Not looking to send there now, but at this point my son isn’t making it in regular school environment for various reasons & I would like to know what’s out there
Anyone can tell me about Ts and Ts high schoool
How does it compare to the type of boys that go to Waterbury ?
Cuz I also heard some pretty crazy things about Waterbury 🙈🙈

What type is ure son hashkafically?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:17 pm
Def not yeshivish, not modern, I guess what’s described as JPF on this site .
Oh need to edit this .
I answered for us . My son would I guess describe himself as “ modern” whatever that means really…. But if say even given a chance to go to a co-Ed school, he wouldn’t

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:18 pm
Why is it like that, that the scholastically weaker boys are with boys struggling with observance? 🙃

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
Why is it like that, that the scholastically weaker boys are with boys struggling with observance? 🙃

Agreed 💯

In Bklyn there aren't too many options for these boys. However oot there are a lot more options.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Def not yeshivish, not modern, I guess what’s described as JPF on this site .
Oh need to edit this .
I answered for us . My son would I guess describe himself as “ modern” whatever that means really…. But if say even given a chance to go to a co-Ed school, he wouldn’t

Does he hang out with girls, social media, possible weed, etc?

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:23 pm
Btw I heard they are trying to revamp things in TS but not sure it really happened

Is ure son in elementary or HS?

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:24 pm
Its a decades long issue and its not unique to yeshivos. When I was in public HS I was in low tracked classes because of learning issues and was shoved in the kids who just didn't want to be there. I think slowly schools have opened for learning disabilities no behavioral issues in the secular world but they are very expensive. I think this needs to happen for the yeshivos too. But its going to take a long time. We also have a much smaller pool of boys and a lot of parents wont want to send or the boys don't want to be in the yeshiva they perceive as for kids who are dumb. It really complicated.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:28 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Does he hang out with girls, social media, possible weed, etc?

Social media yes, but all my kids do to various degrees . BH no girls , no weed… that’s why I am terrified of “adhd type” schools .

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:07 pm
Is he elementary or HS age?

If for HS maybe look into netzach in the 5T
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)