Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If you have used a Reading Tutor
Previous  1  2

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:23 am
I think it also depends on what age you start, because with every year, the gap between where they are and where they should be widens. With dd it took the entire school year in third grade, 2x per week with an OG tutor. She was not reading before we started.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:41 am
amother Aster wrote:
I think it also depends on what age you start, because with every year, the gap between where they are and where they should be widens. With dd it took the entire school year in third grade, 2x per week with an OG tutor. She was not reading before we started.

Of course. It's how long did it take to catch up how many years.

But also the older the kid is they can actually catch on quicker but they have much more work to catch up on..

Thanks for your response!

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:45 am
amother Sage wrote:
How is this going to make a difference when each kid you teach will be different?

I know this rhetorical question will come off sounding snarky and I don't mean that, I just think it would be more helpful for you to focus on things that will practically improve your practice.

4th grade was math. Never was able to fully memorize the times tables due to the short term memory issue. If given a printed times tables they can figure out basic algebra. It also seems to be a seperate component than the dyslexia. When we started out we thought once the kid learns to read math won't be such a problem. Kid has been passing and never got redflagged by teachers because of compensatory skills but now that we finally did the reevaluation we see the actual numbers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:49 am
amother Begonia wrote:
4th grade was math. Never was able to fully memorize the times tables due to the short term memory issue. If given a printed times tables they can figure out basic algebra. It also seems to be a seperate component than the dyslexia. When we started out we thought once the kid learns to read math won't be such a problem. Kid has been passing and never got redflagged by teachers because of compensatory skills but now that we finally did the reevaluation we see the actual numbers.

I don't see the connection. You got her a reading tutor and thought her math would improve without actually helping her with her math? Unless you did a brain training kind of program? Oh, did you think she wasn't doing well in math because she couldn't read the problems?

I thought you meant 4th grade phonics, 5-8 grade vocabulary, 11 grade reading comprehension. Something like that. What did you mean?

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Of course I am doing things to improve and I want to check it against other ppls experiences. I'm currently working with a difficult case and I'm also seeing progress very varied. So it's helpful for me to know.

I'm also an anxious person by nature and I want to make sure I'm not giving my clients anything less than great work.

Currently was able to get 2 years word recognition growth in the span of about 4 months.

Still, hearing about someone else's profile isn't going to help. If you want to go beyond the reading, you need to assess your own student's functioning across different domains. Knowing that amother's kid is still lagging in word retrieval and processing speed isn't going to tell you whether your student is getting stuck in working memory and listening comprehension... for example.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Of course I am doing things to improve and I want to check it against other ppls experiences. I'm currently working with a difficult case and I'm also seeing progress very varied. So it's helpful for me to know.

I'm also an anxious person by nature and I want to make sure I'm not giving my clients anything less than great work.

Currently was able to get 2 years word recognition growth in the span of about 4 months.

I'm gonna be ridiculously blunt- if you're anxious, working with kids witu learning disabilities may not be the field with you. Kids are not predictable computers, and many kids with LD also have anxiety about school and need calmness.

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:00 am
amother Midnight wrote:
I'm gonna be ridiculously blunt- if you're anxious, working with kids witu learning disabilities may not be the field with you. Kids are not predictable computers, and many kids with LD also have anxiety about school and need calmness.

Tbh this thought crossed my mind and then I realized it's not fair. Many people have things like anxiety but can keep it under control and contained in a way that doesn't affect their functioning. I don't see any indication that op is a basket case who's making her students stressed. She's coping with her personal feelings of anxiety on her own time by looking for confirmation that her experiences are normal and trying to figure out what to expect going forward. Which is probably not enough of a coping strategy given how much of the future is unpredictable, but she'll find her own ways of dealing with that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:07 am
amother Sage wrote:
Tbh this thought crossed my mind and then I realized it's not fair. Many people have things like anxiety but can keep it under control and contained in a way that doesn't affect their functioning. I don't see any indication that op is a basket case who's making her students stressed. She's coping with her personal feelings of anxiety on her own time by looking for confirmation that her experiences are normal and trying to figure out what to expect going forward. Which is probably not enough of a coping strategy given how much of the future is unpredictable, but she'll find her own ways of dealing with that.

Lol. My students like working with me. Maybe I understand them 😉

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 9:11 am
amother Sage wrote:
Still, hearing about someone else's profile isn't going to help. If you want to go beyond the reading, you need to assess your own student's functioning across different domains. Knowing that amother's kid is still lagging in word retrieval and processing speed isn't going to tell you whether your student is getting stuck in working memory and listening comprehension... for example.

Imagine that I am working with a kid for a year and he/she is in 5th grade and progresses from a 2nd grade level to mid year second grade level. Then I come on here and everyone says that their kids progressed a lot more than that. Either I need to do more homework and figure out what I'm doing wrong or I need to tell the parent to find someone more qualified. Just trying to cover my basis. I'm in touch with my aunt who is a reading tutor and other ppl and do lots of research on best practices and am constantly checking to see what their weak points are and if my methods are helping. You can fault me for a lot of things but not being conscientious isn't one of them! 🙂
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics