Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What to make instead of cholent in crockpot?
Previous  1  2

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:03 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
Which recipe did you use

I didn't really use one recipe. I looked at a few and adjusted based on what ingredients I had on hand. I used canned chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, plus a few more cans' worth of water, fresh onions, carrots, and zucchini, frozen green beans, garlic, and a bit of spinach, canned peas and carrots (had a can to use up), canned white beans. Plus some chicken soup powder and dried herbs. It came out amazing.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:52 am
1 c. rice
2 c. water
sprinkle salt
2 lamb shanks

Throw into a cholent/oven bag. Put a bit of water in the crockpot insert, place bag inside, close and put on low a few hrs before Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:20 am
The person who makes pastrami in the crockpot, how did you make it? Can you give exact instructions?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:22 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
I’ve done

Pulled beef for taco filling
Beef bourguignon
Beef stroganoff (with pasta I made before shabbos)
Please post recipes

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:36 am
amother OP wrote:
The person who makes pastrami in the crockpot, how did you make it? Can you give exact instructions?

Keep pastrami raw and sealed in the vacuum sealed bag. Drop it into a crockpot full of cold water and turned on low at the start of shabbos. It will kind of fall apart but it's delicious.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:09 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Keep pastrami raw and sealed in the vacuum sealed bag. Drop it into a crockpot full of cold water and turned on low at the start of shabbos. It will kind of fall apart but it's delicious.
I can't remember if pastrami or corn beef is too salty I take it out of the bag and dump the water. What happens if I take it out of the bag and put it in crockpot with fresh water?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can't remember if pastrami or corn beef is too salty I take it out of the bag and dump the water. What happens if I take it out of the bag and put it in crockpot with fresh water?

It will be tasteless and fall apart (it works to boil it in water if you cook it for a short time, not over shabbos).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note