Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pineberries

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:07 pm
Any issues with Kil'ayim? How do they make them?

scintilla

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:09 pm
Do you mean kilayim or am I missing something?

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:09 pm
Pineberries are not made of wool or linen. Never heard of checking food for shatnez.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:49 pm
scintilla wrote:
Do you mean kilayim or am I missing something?

Yes I mean kilayim. I couldn’t draw up the word which is the “something like that” part.
Thank you. I will edit my post.

I know there are many laws and I don’t know what they are. I just discovered a pineberry is a cross between a pineapple and a strawberry, not a wild heirloom breed and I don’t know how they make them!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I mean kilayim. I couldn’t draw up the word which is the “something like that” part.

I know there are many laws and I don’t know what they are. I just discovered a pineberry is a cross between a pineapple and a strawberry, not a wild heirloom breed and I don’t know how they make them!

You're allowed to eat hybrid fruits, just not allowed to create them.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I mean kilayim.

There is a prohibition in Eretz Yisroel of planting different seeds close to each other. There is also a prohibition of planting close to a vineyard. Additioi, there is a prohibition again grafting plants with a tree.

There is not prohibition of cross-pollination or eating hybrids.

All this is my understanding of the halachos.

scintilla

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:57 pm
I don't believe they are actually a hybrid though.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 3:59 pm
Great!!!

Next question, anyone understand the science of how they make them? Is it genetic engineering? How would they cross pollinate and be productive?

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 4:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Great!!!

Next question, anyone understand the science of how they make them? Is it genetic engineering? How would they cross pollinate and be productive?

They're actually a mix of two different strawberry varieties.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 10:20 pm
Kil'ayim means planting different kinds of produce together, like planting tomatoes in a grape orchard or planting wheat and corn in the same field. Grafting and cross-pollinating (hybridizing) are both called harkavah.

greenteam

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 10:33 pm
What two fruits make a pineberry?

What are Pineberries? Pineberries are descendants of the strawberries native to North America, Fragaria virginiana, and strawberries native to Chile, Fragaria chiloensis. They are not genetically modified, nor are they somehow a cross between a pineapple and a strawberry

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 11:46 pm
greenteam wrote:
What two fruits make a pineberry?

What are Pineberries? Pineberries are descendants of the strawberries native to North America, Fragaria virginiana, and strawberries native to Chile, Fragaria chiloensis. They are not genetically modified, nor are they somehow a cross between a pineapple and a strawberry

Nor is a pineapple a cross between an apple and a pine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen