Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Leaving babysitter mid-year...wwyd?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:39 am
Where are u located? We need a babysitter!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:41 am
I’m not sure what work you’re doing, but working from home with a baby can be very difficult. I’m currently working from home due to covid, but I still send my youngest (preschool age) to daycare. Working regularly from home with a baby and no babysitter is nearly impossible in my opinion.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:48 am
From the op, it sounds like she is working in a virtual school, as she mentions working till the end of the school year, I assume teaching or therapy services. Yeah, a babysitter is a must in that scenario, it's not a flexible job.
OP, it would be foolish to burn your bridges and have to call her back in a few weeks when you realize you desperately need her services, only to find out she refuses to take you back. And then good luck finding another babysitter. Word gets around.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I’m not sure what work you’re doing, but working from home with a baby can be very difficult. I’m currently working from home due to covid, but I still send my youngest (preschool age) to daycare. Working regularly from home with a baby and no babysitter is nearly impossible in my opinion.

For sure! I am trying to work and BH have my hands full with my kids. I most definitely need a babysitter asap!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:50 am
I've been working from home for about 18 years and I always sent my kids out to a babysitter during first seder (when DH wasn't home) so I could work. I also wonder what work OP can do while watching a baby. Never worked for me - I only do one job at a time!

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:53 am
I'm sorry, OP. This isn't how it works. Babysitters sign children up for the school year. If you agree to a monthly price for the year, then you can't stop paying unless you find someone to fill the slot.

Have you tried working with the baby home? You probably won't get everything done and will have to work at night too. You might get very tired of it very quickly.

I'm guessing based on both of these issues, it sounds like this is your first baby.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:26 pm
I know this is already a few years old, but im having to leave my baby’s sitter mid year for negative reasons-her attitude, the quality of care, and the way she treats the babies. She also did not uphold her end of the agreement by assuring me she’s only taking 5 babies, only for me to find out she plans on taking 7 babies! I only sent to her under the premise that she was sticking to 5 only and she knew that. I would not have chosen to send to her if I knew she was taking 7 (or even 6) babies! That’s besides the other points I mentioned above about the quality of care and treatment of the babies. Sorry but I cannot in good consciousness get a poor unsuspecting parent to fill a slot at a sitter who should not be babysitting for a living period. As far as “obligations” with payment, there was no contract, plus she didn’t uphold her end of the bargain either. Btw, I live in Lakewood and have pulled out from things before, and I was never made to pay or find someone else to fill the slot.

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:31 pm
To all you posters saying that the babysitter deserves to continue getting paid until she finds another slot-

Do you hold the same standards in the opposite scenario? If a morah is kicking a child out of her group- is she reimbursing the mother for her missed work/income while she’s home watching her kid? Is she letting the child stay until a new group is found, even if that takes weeks? Nope.

groovy1224

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:33 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I know this is already a few years old, but im having to leave my baby’s sitter mid year for negative reasons-her attitude, the quality of care, and the way she treats the babies. She also did not uphold her end of the agreement by assuring me she’s only taking 5 babies, only for me to find out she plans on taking 7 babies! I only sent to her under the premise that she was sticking to 5 only and she knew that. I would not have chosen to send to her if I knew she was taking 7 (or even 6) babies! That’s besides the other points I mentioned above about the quality of care and treatment of the babies. Sorry but I cannot in good consciousness get a poor unsuspecting parent to fill a slot at a sitter who should not be babysitting for a living period. As far as “obligations” with payment, there was no contract, plus she didn’t uphold her end of the bargain either. Btw, I live in Lakewood and have pulled out from things before, and I was never made to pay or find someone else to fill the slot.

This is a completely different scenario than the OP.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:59 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
This is a completely different scenario than the OP.

Thanks! Needed some validation since the babysitter is demanding that “the rule is” that I am “obligated” and “must” continue to pay her or fill the slot.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 1:10 am
Agree to go to a rav or beis din.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 1:37 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
Thanks! Needed some validation since the babysitter is demanding that “the rule is” that I am “obligated” and “must” continue to pay her or fill the slot.

Well her rules were five babies and it's also assumed you won't be a neglectful horrible babysitter. Sorry, I'd straight up just block her number.

There's no excuse for taking two additional babies.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 6:52 am
amother Magenta wrote:
In Lakewood you would need to pay until you found someone to take over your slot.
Hey it's me!!

Next time make a new thread, bumping an old thread is confusing.

Your situation is totally different. She got you to sign up under false pretenses. You owe her nothing.

Talk to a rav just to get her off your back.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:05 am
amother Eggshell wrote:

I'm also in Lakewood. Many years ago, a babysitter told us that my child wasn't doing well in the group due to developmental concerns which were unknown when we signed up. It was around Purim time and we ended up switching out to a group geared towards children with delays. Both husbands went together to the Rav who advised on how we should handle the financial end of things. It gave a clear way to handle things without debate. Assuming that your babysitter is one to follow a Rav's advice, this may be a discussion that can be had as she is delivering differently than you were told.
You will also get peace of mind that you are doing the right thing.

On another note, I one had a disagreement therapist who did not deliver what she was supposed to. She retracted her availability but wanted payment for the eval. My Rav said I did not have to pay. She was very upset, tolde she would not be mochel. I called my Rav back because that made me feel very uneasy. The response was that it's not her money to be mochel on. My point is that when we ask and get clear guidance on the proper thing to do then it takes the debating and guesswork and guilt out of things.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics