Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Daughters school performance

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:12 am
Hi, my daughters school is having a performance tonight and I want to bring her a gift - any ideas? The school doesn’t allow balloons.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:19 am
Please find out if the school’s ok with it. It really adds pressure to all the parents and makes girls that don’t get anything feel bad. Maybe give her something at home?

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:26 am
If they say no balloons they usually don’t want things at all at the performance. I’d have balloons waiting at home or in the car.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:55 am
amother Mocha wrote:
Please find out if the school’s ok with it. It really adds pressure to all the parents and makes girls that don’t get anything feel bad. Maybe give her something at home?
the rule is “no balloons”. I don’t want to do anything big or make anyone feel bad , I can give it to her in the car. But I do want to get something small to make her feel special and looking for ideas.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:59 am
A small cuddly stuffed animal is great, and has staying power. And yes, I give these to my hugh school girls.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:02 am
I'm curious what the point is. I've seen it done ever since I was a girl but I never do it myself as I feel the intrinsic satisfaction and adrenaline high after completing the performance is the best gift the kid receives and external reward almost dilutes that (of course verbal acknowledgement is given)....

(I also don't understand "push presents" so is it the same thought process?)

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:29 am
Ive bought mugs that say Star Singer or Twinkle Toes or Drama Queen or just "I'm so proud of you", filled it with zazas and a note, left it on her dresser.
I don't see a reason to bring the gift to the play. Im worried about it, she's overwhelmed, others could be jealous.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:35 am
How old is she?

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm curious what the point is. I've seen it done ever since I was a girl but I never do it myself as I feel the intrinsic satisfaction and adrenaline high after completing the performance is the best gift the kid receives and external reward almost dilutes that (of course verbal acknowledgement is given)....

(I also don't understand "push presents" so is it the same thought process?)

I was a “drama kid” all through my school years and I never wanted or expected flowers, balloons or candy.

I wonder if it’s because I got more intrinsic satisfaction from it and felt proud of what I put out, and felt validated simply by being on stage.

To me, it always felt like the kids who were less talented or had smaller roles (2nd row in the big choir, that “song dance” for kids who aren’t especially good singers or dancers) got those as a consolation prize, like “at least my mom was in the audience and noticed me”.

Or it was for the girls who were “materialistic” - not in a negative way, but some kids just went through life with more *stuff*, be it iced coffees or trendy accessories or blingy picture frames in their lockers… this is just more “stuff” that they have/need for their self-image and relationships

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi, my daughters school is having a performance tonight and I want to bring her a gift - any ideas? The school doesn’t allow balloons.

A simple bracelet?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:44 am
I put a bunch of balloons into DD's bedroom.

ETA My DD was actually in drama this year, and the experience was really amazing for her. IThe women the school hires to do the performance is so hardworking and puts so much effort into bringing out the best in the girls. So I bought a small gift and wrote a card for this woman, and DD took it to her in school (she's also the school nurse). I actually got the feeling that DD felt special by way of doing this. It highlighted to her that what was important to her was also important to us.....

Last edited by Chayalle on Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

peace2

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:45 am
Get her candy and a rose or a small balloon on a stick that says great job or something like that
A mini stuffed animal is also cute
School play can be tons of fun and its own inherent reward, but for some kids it's not so enjoyable- they're not doing what they expected to be doing, it's a social struggle, they don't like being on stage... for sure if your daughter falls into that category get her a little something to show that you're proud of her (and even if not, it's cute)

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:46 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
If they say no balloons they usually don’t want things at all at the performance. I’d have balloons waiting at home or in the car.

By us the rule is no balloons because it blocks the audience & takes up too much space. It's just annoying if everyone brings balloons.
OP, I usually make a small arrangement with some treats. Nothing substantial.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics