Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do u have a dumping room or closet
Previous  1  2

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:46 am
amother Natural wrote:
What about items in transition?
Where do they go?

what is an item in transition?

if it's:

bag of stuff that needs be toiveled - designate a spot closest to your exit door of your house or designate your garage if you drive - and keep there all the bags that need to go somewhere [cleaners. library returns. momma. etc.]

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:24 am
So I'm 1/2 done my laundry room, which is also where our drawers of pens, scissors, pencils, etc. Are.
I threw out broken crayons and organized supplies.
In terms of cleaning stuff, I threw out two bottles of soap that I don't like and dried up disinfection wipes packages.
I tackled4 drawers and 2 small cabinets.

I still have 2 large cabinets and a counter to go.
I filled a box of things that belong elsewhere (mostly toy room)

One of the Fs of minimal mom or clutterbug was Finish. I partly finished...
I would love to finish the room, but I have other things I need to do now.

Maybe I'll work on it again tonight.

I am so much more productive now that I'm deluttering! Smile

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:53 am
Most people have a dumping grounds of some sort for things they're not sure what to do with, anything from a junk drawer in the kitchen to a junk closet to an entire basement, garage and attic, plus several sheds in the backyard.

I don't have anything so designated, though once my kids left home I did take over a couple of closets for miscellaneous things like guest pillows and comforters, out of season fans, air conditioners, heaters and so on. Not exactly junk but not well organized.

I regularly go through desk drawers and get rid of dried-up pens, brittle erasers, broken rubber bands and so on. Most of these things are stored fairly neatly in little containers or boxes, mostly repurposed. My most glaring "junk" collection is a big shoebox full of little boxes, jars and containers awaiting eventual reuse. I could probably reduce the size of the collection and transfer it to a smaller box. Pill bottles minus the lid hold all kinds of little things from flossers to Q-tips to nail clippers to matches to toothpicks to little dribs and drabs of spices. This is neater and more durable than a whole slew of little ziplok bags.

Near the entrance I keep a shopping bag of stuff I don't need but don't want to discard. Every so often, if I can't find a taker for them, I bring them to the local Little Free Library for anyone to take who wants.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:05 pm
amother Wine wrote:
https://yaelwiesner.com/pre-pesach-purge/
Her challenge is to throw out or give away items according to the gematria of the date in Adar. So today, yud zayin, I need to get rid of 17. You're supposed to do it with a buddy for accountability. (I'm not.). She sends a daily email reminder.
I work ahead sometimes and mark down, "did day 16, and 4 more."

I also checked out minimal mom and clutterbug because they were recommended on this site. I started listening to clutterbug last night. She sometimes doesn't use the nicest language, like she'll say ****, so I'm happy none of my kids were around.

I'm sorry but when you sensor yourelf like that we can't figure out what you mean. How bad is her language? What eactly are you trying to say?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:15 pm
amother Apricot wrote:

1. clear functional use [costumes for Purim-not if you don't have kids who dress up though...]

Speak for yourself. Some of us dress up every year and intend to continue doing so for as long as we have the wits to know what we're doing and why.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:17 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
I'm sorry but when you sensor yourelf like that we can't figure out what you mean. How bad is her language? What eactly are you trying to say?
does it matter? The host uses bad language, why do you need to know the exact words? Of you're that curious, tune in to the show.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:26 pm
One thing many people don't realize about decluttering is that it's not a one and done. Like mowing the lawn or shaving or dusting, it needs to be an ongoing process. Your home is a living thing, perpetually changing, perpetually acquiring new material, but also perpetually aging, deteriorating, going out of style and becoming obsolete.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:33 pm
amother Apple wrote:
My mother did not have a dump room.
But I'll bet she had a junk drawer or junk box that collected coins, bobby pins, safety pins,rubber bands, batteries, buttons, broken costume jewelry,fabric care hangtags, warrantees, receipts, loose stamps, matchbooks, emery boards, key chains...

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:34 pm
I have a small study which ends up being the dumping room but it honestly is cleaned out very often so it doesn't pile up. Dh is very good at clearing clutter out so our house is really not cluttered. I am much more messy than he is in general.

I also have one small drawer in the kitchen. Every couple weeks we dump from there.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Speak for yourself. Some of us dress up every year and intend to continue doing so for as long as we have the wits to know what we're doing and why.

Amen.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:28 pm
Sorry!!!
I type cr@p and imamother turned it into ****
Its not the F word, but it's not eidel speech. Most of the time was fine

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:30 pm
I love a Slob Comes Clean. I relate so well. I have been using her method for a while and while not perfect- it is a whole lot better. I used to think I needed more containers. Yes, I did need the right type for some things like specific toys. But it didn't solve my issue.
Now I have learned to let (some) things go. Some things I have a harder time with. I also learned to remember it is a process and as long as it was better than I started, I am doing OK.
And I love her rules for cleaning. If I needed this item, where would I look for it? Take it there now. (Don't take it where logic would tell you it should go. Take it where you would actually look for it.)
Don't have a specific place in mind? Would I even know I have this if I am looking for it?
Makes so much sense for me.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
does it matter? The host uses bad language, why do you need to know the exact words? Of you're that curious, tune in to the show.

There's bad and there is worse and I want to know the gauge.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Sorry!!!
I type cr@p and imamother turned it into ****
Its not the F word, but it's not eidel speech. Most of the time was fine

Thank you.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:34 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
There's bad and there is worse and I want to know the gauge.

Yes, like I thought that song in hebrew abt the war that was posted a few days ago was awful language.
This was not like that

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 9:01 pm
JuStarted watching this
Excellent so far
https://clutterbug.me/2020/01/......html

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:46 am
Something I found insightful from one of these gurus was that you don't really need to focus your decluttering on what's OUT (on your table, counters, dresser, floor), but on what's IN (in your drawers, cabinets, shelves) because the stuff thats out is stuff you actually use. The stuff that's in you might be holding onto and not using, and if you got rd of it, you'd be able to put away the stuff that's out because you'd have room IN

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:59 am
My Attic storage room
and sometimes dump for a year or two then giveaway whatever we haven’t used or really need

I try to only keep Pesach and baby stuff otherwise giveaway
My mothers very into giving away learned that from her
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics