Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you live in a small apt, do you have a separate freezer?
Previous  1  2

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 4:57 pm
If you do put it in the living/dining room then you can get a chest freezer and put a tablecloth on top to make things a little nicer.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:06 pm
We have a 1-bedroom. My baby sleeps in the living room. The dining room is in the front hallway. There are one and a half closets. I have no idea where I would put a separate freezer.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:33 pm
that's a great place for it. the kids can play with magnets easily there!

Highstrung

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:54 pm
I got one when I lived in a small apartment. My neighbors all had one too. We all kept it in one of the kids bedrooms.
I later needed the space in the bedroom and moved it to the dining room

Highstrung

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:08 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Yes. We just got one second hand, it's in my living room. Its kind of an eye sore, if I'm being honest, so I try and make sure the top is cleaned off and doesnt become a dumping ground. But the extra freezer space is 100000% worth it. I'll easily make double recipes and freeze one, buy bulk which is cheaper, or even just bake a few dinner done 9x13 desserts one Sunday and freeze.

My mother put plants on top of hers and she covered the freezer door with with plastic photo holder magnets . She has tons of family photos displayed that way.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:24 pm
Yes its sitting in my living room- chest freezer put a table cloth on it and double it as a table, couldn’t survive without it

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:27 pm
Yes, it was a lifesaver! When I lived in my one bedroom apartment it was in our bedroom and when we moved to a two bedroom it went to the kids room.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:44 pm
When we first got married we lived in a studio apartment in student housing. We could get some basic kosher products in the local supermarket, but every so often we would drive to the nearest kosher supermarket and stock up on items like cheese, cholent meat, fish, etc. Having an extra freezer to store it all was a lifesaver. We got one of modest size and I also used it as a surface on which to light my Shabbos candles because I had nowhere else to put them.

If you're worried about the aesthetics, I've heard of people who buy chest freezers and cover them with a tablecloth so they can keep them in their living/dining rooms and guests are none the wiser.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:08 pm
Yes I had in my bedroom. Was in a building so kept giant bins of kids clothing on top.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm considering getting a separate freezer so I can do more prep in advance/ bulk buying, but I live in a small apt. It would have to go in my living room/ dining room space because there's no where else for it to go.

If you live in a small space, do you have a stand alone freezer and is it worth it in your opinion?

Yes I have one and it’s the best thing.
I make challis and soups and compotes and purchase frozen goods in bulk. I also buy bulk packs of chicken (cheaper that way) and prep it and bag it per dinner serving.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen